Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing Belt What Does This Mean

CAUTION:
After properly installing timing belt, remove rocker
cover and ensure that the valve lash adjuster contains
no air.

This is a note from the factory service manual at the end of the 1995 timing belt replacement instructions.  I ignored it the last time I did the timing belt on a 1995 subaru.  But what is the danger?  I don't have any intention of taking off the valve covers but I would still would like to know what the factory was worried about.

For those not aware, the 95 and 96  subarus had self adjusting valve lash adjusters [not fixed].

The hydraulic valve adjusters (HLAs) can be removed and pumped up with fresh oil to ensure proper lifter clearances and eliminate the common subaru valve ticking. The ticking is there becuase over time the HLAs can become soft or just refuse to pump up entirely with oil flow.

I took the time to pump up my HLAs in my 95 ej22 before installing for a swap. (Also did t belt, head gaskets, seals etc...) and that engine is unbelievably quiet. If not for the exhaust you couldn't tell there is even a flat engine under the hood.

On the other hand, the valves always tick in my 92 ej22 until she is warmed up. I kind of like the valves ticking a little, it sounds like an old sube, my m50 bmw ticks too like all the rest of them

If you are in a rush you can skip taking the valve covers off, ticking valves are not an issue from my experience. Driven one for 25,000 miles ticking loud as f**k

I thought 96 had the adjustable?

Edited by sparkyboy

1996 was x-over to rollers w/the HLA's. Only year like that that I know of....and single-port exhaust as you likely know. This post has a pic of one, I believe:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/127313-spring-washer-rocker-arms/

Hmm, can't post youtube links, but Search 'Subaru HLA oil' to find a DIY.

Edited by wtdash