Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tranny problems?

Okay,

When I'm driving down the road, sometimes it seems like I'm not getting all the power to the wheels. I can't really punch it anymore. The RPM's just go up and I slowly start moving. I have a bad CV in the passenger front. Could this be the culprit, or is it something bigger, worse... the Tranny?

Anyone know what my problem is and how I can fix it?

Thanks,

Yes, it is a manual. How would I loosen the cable?

If I loosen it and it doesn't help, does that rule out the clutch?

Thanks again,

No, that more than likely means it's time for a new clutch. and while your at it, change the rear crankshaft seal.

The clutch kit should be a little over $100 (it varies quite a bit depending on if you buy a rebuilt one or not, and where you get it), and you can do it, but it requires pulling the engine or the transmission. I personally like to pull the engine, but on an EA82 the trans might be simpler if you don't have a hoist. An engine hoist would make the job a lot easier.

Someone who has done one before could do it in probably a couple hours. If you haven't, then set aside an entire day, or maybe a couple or them - like a weekend maybe.

Once they start slipping like that - they tend to go VERY quickly, and when they do you will have no forward movement at all. In other words you would have to be towed home. If it were me I would stop driving it till you can get the clutch done.

GD

Alright,

So you guys are all positive that it is the clutch?

I don't mean to doubt or second guess you guys at all, but I just don't have the money to be spending it on the clutch and have that not be the problem. Is there any test or something that I can do?

If it is the clutch, what's easier, pull the engine or drop the tranny?

If i drop the tranny maybe i could swap it out for the D/R...?

Thanks GD, I'll try and get my dad to let me drive the pick up for a bit.

Thanks again,

Test.... try going up a hill at about 25 MPH in 2nd gear, and then change to 5th gear. The engine should lug down when you release the clutch. If it doesn't, then your clutch is going.

You can also just pull the engine and take a look at it. You will understand when you see it......

Pulling the engine is easier if you have a hoist. Pulling the tranny is less complicated, but it's heavy, and unless you have a couple friends - difficult to re-install.

GD

Alrighty, I'll try the hill thing tommorow. I don't have a hoist, but i might have axcess to one.

This will most likely be a weekend project then, b/c none of my friends have done the clutch swap. O well, a learnig experience for all of us.

Thanks again,