Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Who knows EA82 ring gap spacing?

The ring gap placement differs for the EA82 pistons for 85/86 models to 87 in the factory manuals.

Pistons do also

Anyone know if the 87 position ing is an upgrade on earlier method or just to suit piston change?

I can make options wlorse if I read a general instruction sheet I kept from EA81 build and they were followed using Volvo spec rings.

Earlier tends to keep all gap placements below the centre line whereas the latter are all 30° off the centre line

IMG_20180721_194639.jpg

IMG_20180721_194707.jpg

Looked at my Gregorys manual for  EA82  and the diagram there,  for piston ring gap position was similar to the second  diagram (above)

that you posted. 

ie the 2 compresion ring gap positions  -  both  30 degrees  below centre line - left for top  and right for second.

and the 2 side rail gaps for oil ring at 30 degrees above centre line - left for top and right for bottom side rail.

The top (1st) diagram that you posted are the ring gap positions for the EA81 according to Gregorys manual also

Thanks for the Gregory's input - totally forgot their opinion ! Looking at my factory manuals for Series One again the diagram with no gaps above centre line is in the ohv section. The ohc section has gaps above.the centre line and the diagram # in both books is the same L2-179

Fell for the old two engine models in the same manual trick

The Series Two manual is XT specific so does not contain ohv stuff. Fortunately Fuji didn't do any ohv XTs. What a thought !!

Edited by jono