Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA 81 upgrade in my 1983 Brat GL Auto Transmission

My 83 Brat has 203,000 miles on it and motor is really tired. Head gasket or head, valves leaking, coolant, oil and I want to replace motor. Will a 1987 EA82 fit in my Brat?  Another option I am looking at is 1981 ea81 from manual trans Brat.  Are any of the EA81 motors an option? Can an early EA82 be used?   I look forward to driving the Brat with a healthy engine. 

I am not familiar with the EJ22, but will start reaching that motor too, based on replies I received. 

Thanks John

IMG_20180804_133151707.jpg

Edited by jdkneppy
Add photo

Best option is probably to rebuild what you have. Contrary to common belief it can still be done with some patience in getting parts. I wouldn't even bother with an EA82. If your going to swap the engine then put an EJ22 in it. This will be quite a bit more time and trouble than fixing what you have. At 200k miles you are just getting started with an EA81 :)

• Like 1

Same opinion as above.

Im involved with even older 1600 stuff and you see people say that absolutely can’t get this or that but there’s always a way. In your case not as difficult. Unless the engine is really showing symptoms and is embarrassing to drive then keep it going while you gather all the bits you’ll need to freshen it up.

Not sure this applies but also keep in mind there are sometimes sleeve kits for the tranny main shaft. And hunt out any new Old Stock you can scrounge up like a third gear synchro. 

Guys like me want to see younger folks keep the torch lit. If you’re serious about keeping it a long time it is possible and not as hard as you might think as long as you have an eye to the future wear and tear. 

I just re-read your post. Is yours a rare automatic ? 

Sure have seen an EA82 in a gen two Brat , it was driven from Maine to NJ to romp around with our group and it was a multiport as I recall. As above , go EJ22 instead.

If you get that manual ea81 and yours is auto. , you’ll need to swap your out going engine’s bellhousing onto the new one.

couple things I’m probably forgetting but all pretty straight forward. And you can probably find good info searching archives too.

• Like 1

Moosens, I wish I was a younger guy, but am over 70. I am looking for the easiest and least expensive option to keep my Brat drivable.  It is an automatic transmission and other than replacing modulation valve tranny has been a champ. Engine is so bad I don't drive it very far from home. It over heats and I have to carry jug of coolant with me. It starts every time, but you have to baby it to keep running and hesitates.  I don't know that I have the skills to do a complete overhaul, so that is why I am asking about engine swap.  I think an over head cam would be a plus, but not sure if the width of the EA82 engine will fit. The 1981 EA81 I am looking at has 138k miles with 130# compression, per the salvage yard for $350. 

I am newby in the Subaru community with 2013 Forester my first, then the Brat 4 years ago.  So all the wisdom of this group is appreciated. Thx John

Any EA82 you find will likely need a reseal, from the headgaskets up.  And you also get the unreliability of the timing belts.  You would also have to find a carburetor one, as the spfi swap is a major rewiring project.

As long as the engine you have now hasn't been so severely overheated as to wreck the bearings or rings, it sounds like it needs a reseal.  Does it make any knocking sounds?

DaveT engine isn't knocking, just old and tired. I am thinking of just buying the 1981 EA81 and swapping engines.  I could possibly rebuild the original engine, while I could still drive my Brat. Not sure I have the skills or knowledge to tackle an overhaul.

IMG_20180804_133151707.jpg

Buy something newer. Pass the Brat on to someone that can put in the effort. 

Besides the engine, that transmission is likely not long for this earth. Once the pump shaft splines strip out it's all over for that 3AT and 200k is getting to be borrowed time. 

EA82 and EJ22 are not swaps that will be easy. They would likely be more difficult than fixing the EA81. 

If you must, pull the EA81, rebuild the heads, give it a new set of rings, and put it back in. No need to do a complete rebuild if it's not knocking. 

GD

• Like 2

My preferred way is to have a spare engine.  Rebuild / recondition / reseal as needed, while I limp the car along.  Swap engine over a weekend.  Like GD wrote, if it's not knocking, The most it probably needs would be rings.  You could just reseal from the head gaskets up, and let it burn oil if you don't do lots of miles.

I just would not expect any used engine you find to be ready to run without a reseal, as they are over 30 years old.  It might be better than what you have though, since it sounds like your engine has had multiple overheats, it needs head gaskets.

• Like 1