Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pardon my ignorance of anything Subaru.  And I do believe that there are indeed dumb questions, but I'll ask anyway so bear with me. 

I just got a new-to-me '98 Legacy GT and while I was ordering parts form Rock Auto for my other cars, I thought I would get a few oil filters for the Subaru.  I got the Denso 150-2002 (or 1502002, seen it both ways). I figured if it's Japanese, it should be good.  Right?  Well, this small box shows up on my doorstep and I wondered where my oil filters were.  When I opened the box, the filters were in there and I couldn't believe how small those filters are.  I've seen bigger filters on 12 hp lawn tractors.  I've never gotten the wrong part from Rock Auto.  I cross-checked with other sites that also say the Denso 150-2002 is for my Subaru.  Are the OEM filters really this small or is this Denso something smaller that just happens to fit?  Has anybody used the Denso?  I don't believe in extended oil change intervals so this thing won't be on there for long if I use it.  It just seems so dang tiny as to be the wrong filter.  The filter on my Accord is gargantuan in comparison.

Please note that I do not intend to start a debate on which is the best oil and/or filter to use.  I know where that will go.

Yes the newer filters are this small. No it is not generally a problem. 

Denso filters are garbage. Amsoil, K&N, and Royal Purple filters are all quite good. I believe all are made by champion labs. 

WIX is a distant last resort. At least it has an up-front bypass. Still a cellulose filter and pretty poor filtration.  

The OEM Subaru (Of America) filters are made by Honeywell/Fram and are pretty worthless other than having a really high DP valve to force oil through the crappy element. 

You get, at most, exactly what you pay for with virtually every filter out there. They are built to a price, and if you are buying to a price you are inevitably sorting $hit products in a race to the bottom. 

GD

54 minutes ago, carfreak85 said:

Not the case if you've stockpiled the old, black Tokyo Roki filters!:banana:

I haven't tested those specifically, but I would guess they are probably quite a bit better. The impetus for switching was the obvious cost savings in using a domestically produced (Canada IIRC) filter over huge numbers of shipping containers full of bulky, lightweight oil filters being shipped here constantly from Japan at high cost plus shipping. What's really telling about this situation is that Subaru of Japan has not certified the "blue" filters for use on the FA's yet. The dealers are required to use the fat Tokyo Roki filters for those models. I imagine eventually they will get some blue garbage for them instead so the dealers can make fat profits off the cheap blue Fram. 

GD

• Like 1

Well I have occasion to cut open filters almost daily so I see their construction and effectiveness or lack thereof quite often. The guys joke that filter cutting is my favorite task. Really I just enjoy failure analysis.... and who doesn't enjoy some really awful carnage to take pics of. It's like watching a train wreck. Horrible, sure - but you can't look away. 

I have all the gear to check differential pressure across the filter and data log it also. At some point I will tabulate all the data on different filters and when/how long/how often the bypass valve opens.

GD

• Like 1