Ultimate Subaru Message Board

machine shop recommendation Vancouver WA

Ok, the head gaskets I replaced, and was never sure they sealed properly, have failed again. Same as when O bought the car. So I am going to do it again, but this time get the heads done. Anyone know of a shop in Vancouver WA that has experience and good results with these DOHC 2.5 heads? 

Thanks

Car is a 99 with an ej25d

You most likely have block surface problems as well. Resurfacing the head will do nothing for this. You may need to fill the pits and block sand the deck. Resurfacing is not possible without dissasembly. 

You can surface the heads with glass and 220 grit. It's quite easy. 

The 642 gaskets can be used if you swap to 251 pistons.

Proper thread chasing, and head bolt lubrication is critical for correct gaskets crush. 

If you want the best machine shop around for Subaru engines, it's Bearing Service Co. in downtown Portland. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Yes we can do it also. If you don't want to mess with it yourself. We also have a 1998 with 140k on it that we just did the piston swap on 2000 miles ago. Got mashed up in the front and is awaiting the insurance company to tow it off. Should be about $1000 in storage fees so if you match that and the buy-back of $150 you can pull the 25D out of it. Have to act within a day or two though. It's going to get sold to the insurance and they are eager to stop paying my storage. 

GD

• Like 1

8 hours ago, whynot said:

What all is included in the piston swap? how bad is the car damaged? sent pm

Piston swap = piston swap.  remove pistons and put different pistons in - that’s it.  No lower end block work.  And new headgaskets of course.

good deals don’t sit around for long and GD isn’t going to waste time either. You have a questionable EJ25D. Id decide/jump quick on a known good $3,000 engine with updated pistons and someone who knows how to do it right. 

I know it sounds obvious but here’s what I’ve seen 100 times - when I want a deal I have cash available at all times and pull the trigger quick. I see people all the time encounter a good deal - ask questions, wait for replies, ask me about it, try to find a better deal, go look at it first then waste time trying to go get money or transportiom later, want pictures and mileage and history and then bam - they end up missing it and buying something worse for more money. 

Edited by idosubaru

Correct. It has knurled, hand-fit 251 pistons, and 642 head gaskets. Done at my shop a few months ago. Bill was over $3k. They are buying a 2005 from me to replace it. Insurance offered them a $150 buy back. I have to know by tomorrow morning if it's going to be bought back or the insurance company is going to make the owner a cash offer on settlement at which time they are liable for my storage up to the point when the tow guy hooks it up. Insurance company storage fees at my lot are $100 per day. This is to ensure a speedy settlement in the owners favor. The insurance company wants to stop those storage fees and the longer they low-ball my customer, the more they owe. Works great and a nice revenue generator for me. 

I don't much care what happens to it. Not much call for 25D's anymore around my shop, and I'm not warehousing parts for 20 year old cars. Not enough room or enough money in them. 

But yeah, to the right person, the engine is easily worth $2k with the work that's been done to it. Was a very well kept car with excellent history. 143k on it. 141k when we did the work.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1