Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Intermittent - 3 strong cranks then stops, always 3

2009 Subaru Forrester -strange issue - can't drive the car the last  few months because 90% of the time we go out and it wont start.  We have driven it loads of miles the last 4 years . Its been a costly to maintain vehicle. Not a fan, 

Turn the key, three strong cranks and it stops trying. You turn the key back to off, turn the key on again and three cranks and stops turning over. Then ten minutes or 5 days later (doesn't matter) doing nothing different, it starts the first time.  No problems when driving. no stalling no, weak charging lights always bright at start. Yes car is in neutral.  I don't think its a connection to starter because of the 3 cranks... it seems like a computer or something is telling it to crank 3 times. I think that is the key in resolving this issue- what causes 3 cranks and to stop 

I have concern that an after market remote starter may have something to do with it???  Valet mode or a security mode... because its always 3 exact cranks and stops.  We didn't install the system,  and do not have a FOB to use it.  The system came installed by the previous owner and is an  Omega excaliber RS 320 EDP

1- new battery with clean connections ( dads an electrician and former mechanic)

2 strong cranks.. they do not die out even if yo do this 30 times- light bright radio on all works fine

3 striking starter or solenoid  with hammer or tapping yields no results.

4 starter doesn't click while turning key or continue to start if car starts - don't feel its the starter or solenoid

5 all fuses  have been checked...and starter fuses .  Also checked starter relay- (not solenoid but the relay)

6 car is in neutral

please HELP ...college kid can't afford to pay a mechanic for hours of "looking"

I've had all kinds of problems on vehicles with aftermarket remote start systems installed. Usually as a result of poor connections/installation than the system itself. If you can't use it anyway, I would throw that thing right in the dumpster before anything else.

I'm almost completely positive that that car would have an immobilizer, which means that's another computer that can interrupt the starter signal. Most cheap remote start installs on immobilizer cars involve attaching a spare key inside the steering column trim near the ignition to fool the immobilizer. 

Is this a manual or automatic transmission car?

Yea, pretty simple circuit, and it sounds like you have fairly predictable symptoms. Get a multi-meter and/or test light and a wiring diagram, and start isolating components of the circuits.

Edited by Numbchux
  • Like 1

+1 that remote starter and associated wiring is going to be a huge question mark.  i'd get that thing out of there too.  

if you know the model number - can you google, email, or find the company and get their installation guides so you know what components/where they tap in and see what removal would look like?  if you do - post a picture of it here....if youre allowed to with one post?  sometimes you're limited in priviledges until you have so many posts. 

Hey here it is, good job getting that first post up after talking to me.