Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 Subaru gl-10 turbo wagon #needhelp

Hi there I have a 88 Subaru gl-10 turbo wagon [I guess it would be a "89"] made 07 88 it’s automatic [dont hate me] 

i Have high idle when in park after driveing for a while and I have to give it gas when I cold start it and now while driveing yesterday my check engine light came on and a major loss of power when I rev it up and let off the gas it Boggs down I’m almost 100% it’s the idle air control valve but all my local parts stores want 500-700$ for this part I also have voided the fuel pressure regulator and have a gadge to tell me what my fuel pump is pumping that part is 150$ if anyone has them and doesn’t need them I’ll buy them I love my old Subaru plz help me get her back on the road 

Fix the FP regulator.

You have no hope of maintaining correct mixture w/o it.

They are only $50 at rockauto.

Turbo cars don`t have idle air control valves like SPFI cars,they have auxilary air valves.

You priced the wrong part.

What is the code??

Well I feel really dumb my situation in life is not the best I didn’t know what the problem was so I scrapped the car today I feel extremely dumb everything I looked up said idel air valve and I have no idea how to get “Codes” on the older car 

Bought a 92 legacy yesterday as well kinda has the same problem kinda low idle at stop lights. Under 500rpm And in park . But picks up as soon as you press the gas hasn’t died on me just wondering if ther is a idle screw on the ej22 or if that even the problem. Plz let me know and thank you all so much for taking time to try and help me 

for the 92 Legacy, you want to post on the newer generation forum.  More people who have similar cars will see your question.
A general tip - Don't mess with any " idle screw" on a SPFI engine.  I have yet to see anyone have that be the problem since the days of carburetors.