Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 possible groove in front of the crankshaft from seal wear?

The seal (as well as cam seals) appears to be original, (with "NOK" marking/label)  and I don't know if this is a groove or maybe a stock ridge/shelf (about 1/8 inch away from radius) ? motor has 137K miles, wasn't leaking too severe and probably also leaking from cam seals and oil pump as well,  resealing all of them

possible groove in front of the crankshaft 20181029_222636_edit.jpg

possible groove in front of the crankshaft 20181029_222647_edit.jpg

Edited by Craigar
details, details and typo ;)

The square markings are were the backside of the sprocket butts against the crank, it's the "teeth" of the sprocket. The seal rides at least 3/16 inch further back (or more towards the top of this image). Here I slid the sprocket back on so it visually makes more sense. I think this groove is a max of .005 " at the deepest - which is towards the back (closest to top of image) right before the brownish "varnish" band. Now that I am seeing it in the day I realize it's probably not a problem .

Thank You

IMG_20181030_132714_edit.jpg

IMG_20181030_132822_edit.jpg

Edited by Craigar
add images & details

Didn't get one marked NOK - but got one that looks like NOS from  czny , otherwise the seal looks identical to the stock one - and everything looks right including the little angled "oil deflection ridges" going towards the lip, which I assume "pushes" oil back towards the motor? (I - was NOT impressed with O'riely's "National" generic with no "deflection ridges" . The crankshaft seal from czny looks just like the cam seals I got out the 20 year old "last gen" box of seals a reputable full time "Subaru only" mechanic I was considering for this job (Raffi Motors ), he's the one offered to do it all for $1000, and said that's more than the cars worth.. probably true - but if I get another 100k  (or more without major problems) I'll be real happy! Here's how I seated the seal.. got it level and flush with the case - used the old seal as a spacer while I very slowly turned the ratchet with my other thumbnail in the gap (at the edge) between the pair of seals and double thick reader glasses watching it move. and I KNOW it's level!

525199170_seatingcrankshaftsealIMG_20181031_141759.thumb.jpg.c71a5e006ec622da044631a417389eb2.jpg

Edited by Craigar
more details...
  • Like 1