Ultimate Subaru Message Board

can not get water pump to seal

I did the head gaskets, and that seems to be good, I put the water pump back on with a new gasket. IT leaks at the bottom bolt, on the side near the crank. I have replaced the gasket 2X, and finally used silicone. Still leaking. Any ideas? I cleaned the surface with 320 grit and everything was clean I have not stripped any bolts out, but am afraid i will if I go any tighter. 

This is a 1999 2.5. 

Thanks

it is wet at the block to the pump and i do not see it running from anywhere else. I do not have the timing cover on, or the fans or belts.. The pump was new in April. Where would it show up if it were the weep hole? Are you thinking I should just change the pump? could the gasket at the side be interfering?  I removed part of it, not sure what it does, maybe dust?

Edited by whynot

I could not see any issues with the mating surface, I do not have pictures, but can get some when it comes apart again. 

The leak is dripping from the behind the bolt, "c" in the torque sequence. 

The first gasket that failed was a paper one from the parts store, this one is the metal one from Subaru. 

The WP came in a gates kit. It has been on the engine before with no issue, using the gasket that came with it. 

Also I let the car sit for about 1 hr, and no leak, not until it warms just a little and gets a little pressure on it. Could I have cracked something that looks ok cold? and almost without saying the more pressure the faster the leak.

Sounds like check the weep hole to me. I just replaced a bad gates pump that had 35k on it. Their kits are GARBAGE. I've seen their tensioners fail, their water pumps fail, and their belts break before the change interval. Multiple times. I used to use their kits about 4+ years ago. I've had to warranty a few cars because of them. Do not use. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

WOW, I thought gates was a quality company. That is what we used on everything 20 years ago. how times change. 

Guess I should get a new pump and try again, after I get it all cleaned up. I will start on this on Monday and get some pictures.

thanks