Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I want to thank everyone who answered my last question about my 1992 Legacy being hard to start. We've conquered that problem (it was the coolant sending unit; it had the wrong ohm reading)... but... now it starts but runs about 15 minutes, then there is a 'click' in the dashboard somewhere and the fuel pump quits working and of course the engine dies. After maybe another 20 minutes it can be started again. Lather, rinse, repeat. My husband's question is, is the fuel pump itself causing this relay to trip, or is the relay itself over heating or something? He's currently tearing the dashboard out... it's getting ugly out there lol. I was hoping he'd get this fixed before now; I'm a hospice volunteer and really need my car back! Thanks in advance,

The fuel pump relay is behind and above the interior fuse panel. It is a silver canister relay and has a green electrical connector. You don't need to pull the dash out. You do need to check that the relay is getting 12v switched power and a ground signal from the ECU, and if it is when it clicks off then you can safely assume the relay is bad. If it is not - then you need to determine why the ECU shut it down. Could be that the ECU is bad, or that it lost the crank sensor input and shut off the fuel pump because it doesn't see the engine turning..... or perhaps the ignition relay (brown, square plastic relay with 6 pins) shut off the ECU.... many possibilities. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder