Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1989 Subaru dL transmission

I have 1989 Subaru dL sedan that is very rusty and two wheel drive with a 3 speed auto transmission, and I have found a 92 four wheel drive sedan that needs a new auto transmission. I need to know if the 3speed auto trans from my 2wd 1989 dL four door sedan will fit in a 4wd 92 four door sedan, any info is appreciated. Thank you.

It should.  You loose 4wd, obviously. 

I have swapped a few 3AT transmissions around.  86 through 93 are swappable from first hand experience  except with the years around 86 (not sure of the exact year) they changed the final drive ratio, which screws up the 4wd unless you also swap the rear diff.  You might have to swap the rear mount, and there might be rear drive shaft differences.

The internal speed selection parts are the same for the 2WD and the 4wd, but of course  the 4wd has the extra extensign and parts for the 4wd.

Being a 2WD whatever front diff ratio is will not impact on rear diff ratio.

You can then remove 36 kg of rear diff, axles, moustache bar and tailshaft.

You may find the electrical connections may need some attention to work and remember the auto has safety no start functional switch for other than neutral and park so if you do get it in and working before completing electrical swap may need to ensure no one tries to start it in gear!

Check wiring connectors of both cars prior to commitment if electrical is a problem for you. Did the 92 four wheel drive sedan auto get upgraded to a four speed electronic all wheel drive? We got the E4AT in the GLTA sedan by about 89. Only seen this transmission in after release import from Japan wagons here

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steptoe said:

B

Check wiring connectors of both cars prior to commitment if electrical is a problem for you. Did the 92 four wheel drive sedan auto get upgraded to a four speed electronic all wheel drive? We got the E4AT in the GLTA sedan by about 89. Only seen this transmission in after release import from Japan wagons here

Nah, the 92 he references will have a standard 3at.  On;y turbo cars got 4eat here.  and there were no turbos after early 91