Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru 1995 Legacy 2.2 in VW Bus

Hi everyone,
I just bought a '72 Volkswagen Bus with a Subaru conversion in it from a '95 Legacy 2.2. However, it has a coolant leak and after driving it for a short while, the coolant overflows (drops coming out). I'm suspecting this is the head gasket that needs replacing. I know you need to take the engine apart to replace the head gasket, but I've heard that it's a common problem for Subarus and every few months or so, the head gasket might go. Do you have any suggestions for me or ways to go about this problem?

Here are pictures of the engine...
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1e_...-x7A4xtIUlqc-M

Edited by omacdon2

lol, no, they do not "go every few months or so" if they are fixed correctly the first time. And this issue is most common with the early 2.5s, not the 2.2 that you have. In fact, the 95 2.2 is probably one of the best years for that motor.

Not to say that it never happens with a 2.2, but it is fairly uncommon.

To start with, where exactly are you seeing the leak from?

give us a few more details on the issue.

Thanks for the tips. Sorry I don't have much knowledge about Subaru motors, but it's coming from the black tube on the left of the engine compartment. If you didn't see, here is a link to some pictures https://drive.google.com/open?id=1e_...-x7A4xtIUlqc-M I checked the oil and there was no milky substance in it so I'm thinking it might just be a coolant leak so far, not the whole head gasket blown

8 minutes ago, heartless said:

lol, no, they do not "go every few months or so" if they are fixed correctly the first time. And this issue is most common with the early 2.5s, not the 2.2 that you have. In fact, the 95 2.2 is probably one of the best years for that motor.

Not to say that it never happens with a 2.2, but it is fairly uncommon.

To start with, where exactly are you seeing the leak from?

give us a few more details on the issue.

Thanks for the tips. Sorry I don't have much knowledge about Subaru motors, but it's coming from the black tube on the left of the engine compartment. If you didn't see, here is a link to some pictures https://drive.google.com/open?id=1e_...-x7A4xtIUlqc-M I checked the oil and there was no milky substance in it so I'm thinking it might just be a coolant leak so far, not the whole head gasket blown

are you referring to the black tube that I pointed the arrows to?

if yes, this is a fairly common failure - this is a coolant tube, and it is still available new, but will also require you to pull the intake to change it (means you will also need intake gaskets)

in a Subaru, this is a fairly straightforward job to do and does not take that long - but being this is in a VW bus, you may face other challenges - working space wise.

vw 95 22.PNG

13 minutes ago, heartless said:

are you referring to the black tube that I pointed the arrows to?

if yes, this is a fairly common failure - this is a coolant tube, and it is still available new, but will also require you to pull the intake to change it (means you will also need intake gaskets)

in a Subaru, this is a fairly straightforward job to do and does not take that long - but being this is in a VW bus, you may face other challenges - working space wise.

vw 95 22.PNG

New picture posted above