Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Vinegar + salt + 16 hrs rust eater ! PICS

OK this trick may be handy for some of our old girls bits n pieces. My Brumby attaches to this chain whenever she goes a trailer so post should count as relevant.

Was not solid chunky, flaky rust but just fine dusty rusty surface all over.

Cheap as white vinegar not watered down, about a litre in a cut down two litre milk bottle, about two desert spoons of table salt and for good measure I left the alfoil in the mix. I was using the foil to scrub the chain after just a few hours but almost felt I had been tricked

Have successfully cleaned silverware in boiling water, spooning salt and added foil to water, that goes black with gunk off silverware

It rained overnight so some water likely in the mix, butcheck out the chain as I pulled it out. Yet to touch to see if the brown crud comes off easy. Don't think the grey bits are where I rubbed with foil

IMG_20190630_080926.jpg

16 hours and this chain was clean! A light scrub with nylon brush and it was all like new.

I then soaked more length including first length. So very tidy. I then pulled out a wire brush with brass looking bristles. Scrubbed clean but looked like a golden colour coming over it. Two or three hours later in the cold but drying sun - it was a shiny rust fine dust film of rust again. Totally coated again! 

Back to square one, but must be prepared with carb soda to neutralise things, heat gun to warm it up and some spray paint

some folks will purp[osely use a little sal water and sun/yard 'exposure' to bring back that fine rust coat - just in preparation of using a phosphide rust converter.

maybe try something like this now ?;  https://www.amazon.com/VHT-SP229-Rust-Convertor-Can/dp/B002NUABUO/ref=sr_1_7?crid=ASQ2HT5FXKC3&keywords=rust+converter&qid=1562076113&s=gateway&sprefix=rust%2Caps%2C199&sr=8-7

Cleaning the steel with these kind of etching techniques will leave the surface very pure, and quick to oxidize.  Great for something to paint.   Not so much for chain, which normal use and handling will quickly destroy paint.  Coating it with an oil that doesn't evaporate would keep it from rusting for a while, but attract dirt, so a trade off there.

Edited by DaveT