Ultimate Subaru Message Board

so this is if i decide to build it still but how much of the 1998 legacy outback is interchangeable with the 1998 impreza outback? i kinda dont like the impreza dashboard will the legacy dashboard fit into the impreza and work electronically like the climate control? seats as well. the impreza has cloth i want my leather door panels trim panels how much will actually cross over?

1+ on el_freddo's response.

Front bucket seats will bolt in.  You may have to switch the seat belt latch.  Radio should swap over.  The rest of the dash stuff NO.

Front brakes, easy swap.  Rear Brakes Drum to rotor can be done but it's some work.

im very much thinking of it. will the dash and door panels physically fit? im willing to swap hvac and wiring harnesses if needed to make it work. the cars not in bad shape rust wise i mean theres some but its still savable and will be doing the rust repairs before everything gets swapped arround.

You’re clearly keen on the swap so you’ll have to take measurements and work it out for yourself. 

I bet my $2 on the dashboard being longer than the impreza one. So you’d have to look into cutting the legacy unit down to fit, then make it all look pretty. 

If you’re only after the instrument cluster it might swap over with wiring repinning of some plugs. 

Door cards. Measure, work it out. My gut says different. 

Cheers 

Bennie

2 hours ago, el_freddo said:

You’re clearly keen on the swap so you’ll have to take measurements and work it out for yourself. 

I bet my $2 on the dashboard being longer than the impreza one. So you’d have to look into cutting the legacy unit down to fit, then make it all look pretty. 

If you’re only after the instrument cluster it might swap over with wiring repinning of some plugs. 

Door cards. Measure, work it out. My gut says different. 

Cheers 

Bennie

well it was more than just the cluster. i kinda dont like the impreza dash i tihnk its a bit ugly compared to the legacy dash. i did mesure the dash length left to right and seemed the same length the door panels reason to want to change those is due to previous owner cutting holes for speakers and there all chopped up and dirty beige color with cloth inserts. im not a fan of the cloth at all and dont think the black leather would look right with a beige dash and trim. it basically needs a whole interior and well i have the legacy. second question thogh if i dont swap this stuff will the 95 2.2 work int he 98 impreza? i noticed the impreza 2.2 has the single port exhaust but is that all thats different?

heres the reason the legacy is not an option to me. the rest of the car is just as bad underneath and currently that section is held together with bed frames welded across the gap sheet metal to fill holes and construction adhesive. and yes that is a fence post holding the tower shived over where it belongs.

20190425_104548.jpg

64806056eSy.jpg

64806055dJe.jpg

64806054TyH.jpg

64806052DzR.jpg

Edited by sirtokesalot