Ultimate Subaru Message Board

04 Outback Intake Noise, sounds like exhaust leak

Looking for troubleshooting assistance with my 04 Subaru Outback 4cyl MT. It has a very noisy intake and anemic performance under 3k RPM.

I mistook the noisy intake for an exhaust leak so I replaced the exhaust manifold gasket but the problem persists. I’m new to car maintenance, with a background in computer hardware support. Any help would be appreciated.

I’m not sure what’s causing this. Could this a valve/vacuum/timing issue?

Edited by clinternet

when was the timing belt system last serviced?

Is the cel on and what codes are stored? (parts stores can scan for trouble codes - or a phone app and an ELM327BT adapter can be helpful)

holding some small tubing to your ear and moving the other end around the intake tubing and other spots - maybe you'll hear a loud sound?

• Like 1

Engine has 167k miles. Timing belt and head gasket replaced within 2k miles by seller. 

No CEL currently lit. A code reader is a great idea tho. I just ordered a BlueDriver scan tool that will be here Friday. I will report back with what I find.

EGR tube sounds like a good place to start. Maybe I should soak it in carb cleaner? I was considering giving her the ol’ Sea Foam treatment.

GD called it. It was the EGR tube!

Pipe was completely chopped. I repeated the previous hillbilly fix with 2 hose clamps and a 2” piece of hose for now. New OEM EGR tube inbound at Peninsula Subaru in a few days. 

Thank you both for your insight to a noob question! I owe you a beer the next time I’m in Milwaukie. 

Edited by clinternet