Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have 05 and 08 Outbacks 2.4 SOHC.

I recall that OEM filters have a mechanism from preventing oil from draining back and causing a dry start and bypass pressure compatibility. Is there an aftermarket filter that is suitable or just get Subaru branded?

Is there a sticky for mundane questions like this and other inquiries for TB kits/suspension parts, etc.?

2.5, FYI.

Subaru filter in the US is made by Honeywell (Fram), most aftermarket ones are better.

Everybody has their own opinion about oil filters. WIX and Purolator are generally considered pretty good. I keep Denso or sometimes Bosch filters on the shelf for my cars (anytime I'm ordering from RockAuto I check my shelf and add as necessary depending on pricing and warehouses).

Several years ago I ran across a comparison chart of oil filters. They only opened about 5 different brands of filters. I can't remember the part number of the filter they chose.

Purolator had 100 sq. inches of filter surface, Wix had 80, and the others were less.

19 hours ago, brus brother said:

I have 05 and 08 Outbacks 2.4 SOHC.

I recall that OEM filters have a mechanism from preventing oil from draining back and causing a dry start and bypass pressure compatibility. Is there an aftermarket filter that is suitable or just get Subaru branded?

Is there a sticky for mundane questions like this and other inquiries for TB kits/suspension parts, etc.?

GD has posted significantly about oil filter design and function. Read his other posts if you’re interested. 

there isn’t much evidence of failures or longevity due to oil filter choices in nonturbo daily drivers.  

17 hours ago, brus brother said:

Realized after changing oil that I neglected the filter. It is overdue. Can I just change the filter or will I be showered with oil if I don't drain the sump first?

Just change the filter, it’s not sitting under the sump and won’t drain it. 

I’ll give some heart attacks and trigger some amygdala’s this morning.  You can change your filter the next time you change the oil. *gasp*. 

On Subarus Im keeping beyond 200,000 miles (i have a rotating fleet) that will be rust prone when I finally ditch them anyway - i change the filter every other oil change.  I don’t do that to ones I own short term since I know that would freak some future owners out. I change every 5k, so that means every 10k for filters.  This is in alignment with long interval synthetic changes and still under the ratings of the higher end filters. So I’m still under specs.  

residual oil can’t be a determinant factor since oil is held captive throughout various oil supply lines and orifices, cam carriers, valve solenoids and switches, oil pump, etc and long term oil analyses shows nothing noteworthy. 

So it’s only the USDM where the Subaru filter is not made in Japan? 

I’ll have to look closer the next time I purchase a genuine filter - it’s a good $5 cheaper than an aftermarket brand locally. 

I find it odd that I can get a genuine filter for less than an aftermarket unit (at an auto parts chain store), and that’s the cheapest unit on the shelf. This doesn’t normally happen, it used to be genuine was about four times more than aftermarket! Maybe it’s an AUDM thing now...

Cheers 

Bennie

29 minutes ago, el_freddo said:

I’ll have to look closer the next time I purchase a genuine filter - it’s a good $5 cheaper than an aftermarket brand locally. 

I find it odd that I can get a genuine filter for less than an aftermarket unit (at an auto parts chain store), and that’s the cheapest unit on the shelf. This doesn’t normally happen, it used to be genuine was about four times more than aftermarket! Maybe it’s an AUDM thing now...

Cheers 

Bennie

It’s only a few dollars pocket change so probably a few variable impact it, but maybe a market difference. Overall many aftermarkets are cheaper than OEM here.  If you don’t compare prices OEM can typically be more.  

If there’s $2 per filter difference and 20 changes in 100000 miles that’s $40 or $4/year, not much gain to be had.

Does the dealer give you a personal discount?  A dealer does that for me, but that’s not necessarily a fair comparison. And I have friends that get special discounts at national chain stores that I don’t get. 

Do all dealers there have identical pricing?  The same part can vary by 30% or more in price depending which dealer we buy from.

The higher end filters are roughly comparable in price to OEM but in the end it depends how you shop - online, bulk, amazon subscription, locally, manage online discounts/coupons/points, all of which can be a moving target.  If you’re not going to check prices or look for those lower cost options, OEM can be high locally, but we’re only talking a few dollars pocket change either way so it doesn’t pay to play for most people. 

1 hour ago, el_freddo said:

Cheers 

Bennie

AFAIK, yes, in other markets the filters are made in Japan (Denso?). But here in the US, the 2 most common filters (15208aa12a and 15208aa15a, Basically EJ, and FB) ones are sourced here in the US and made by Honeywell. There are a few part numbers (15208aa031, 15208aa130, and 15208aa170, H6, 11 Forester/FA, and Direct Injected WRX) that are available here and made in Japan.

From what I've seen, OE filters frequently are priced very competitively compared to ones on the shelf at Auto Parts stores. The Toyota Facebook groups went nuts this year because WalMart began carrying OE Toyota filters. But they're about $8, when they're $6 or less at the dealership....Those are branded Denso, but made in Thailand, so still not that great, but better than many aftermarket.

The WIX filters are the only one's I'm aware of that have the 23.5 psi bypass valve and have the valve up-front before the filter element. They are a significantly better design as when they go into bypass (one every cold start for example, when Subaru oil pressure is 90+ psi) the oil does not first pass over the dirty element and wash contaminants back into the engine. 

GD

• Like 3