Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2006 Outback rear decklid lock question

I know this has been discussed several times, but I can't find any of the threads at the moment.  So....

What do I need to do to get the rear lock to work with the fob again.  At the moment the cover is off the lock mechanism on the interior and we lock it with the plastic lever inside the hatch.  Time to get this fixed.  

Thanks for the help all,   Mark

foxgap,

When things go wrong electrically in tailgate, the first place to check out is the rubber gaiter that the tailgate wiring goes through from the roof of the car body to the tailgate (in between the tailgate top hinges).

Gently pull the rubber gaiter from both the car body and the tailgate and push the gaiter to one end checking for frayed or broken wires. You may get lucky and find your issue that can be fixed with some soldering and shrink tubing. Good Luck!

what gb said 

below is what I found on the passenger side of my 05 OB

I was able to pull a piece of wire through and use crimp butt connectors to make the connections outside the zone of flexion, tucking them within the gate pillar or back in the ceiling.

you may find other wires that are frayed and in need of attention

803114487_48990.jpg

Edited by brus brother

Thanks Guys .  I will check that out in the AM and let you know what I find.

I had a few min free so I went and pulled the passenger side accordian back and sure enough 4 broken wires in there.   They are going to be a B&^$h to fix.  I am going to try Brus's method first and extend the wires.  They sure don't leave much wire there to hook up to. 

Edited by foxgap

It is a pain to get those wires through the rubber. Attach a piece of dental floss (I am a retired dentist :D) to one broken end of the shortest piece and pull the broken wire back out of the gaiter. Make the splice connection and then reattach and use the floss to pull the spliced wire back through and connect to the other side.

Edited by brus brother
  • Like 2