Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ swap down under

I have a few concerns with my upcoming EJ swap, time to start thinking about collecting all the various bits...

In Australia we never had any ER27 vehicles which is what is required for donor pressure plate I believe. I can find aftermarket plates online in America but they don't ship over here. I know OEM EA82 plates are still available from the dealer but have no idea what to ask for in regards to part no. for ER27. How are people in Australia doing this swap?

I've also heard I need the flywheel from the XT6 but can I just have the step on my EA flywheel changed?

Thanks in advance

Edited by subieroo

You need to contact Subarino Auto Electrics - based in Perth, he’ll look after you in the adaptor plate and flywheel mods department (DIY flywheel mod but has a neat template to follow). 

As for the clutch pressure plate, I’ve heard of people beefing up the stock unit at a reputable clutch shop. Any decent shop should be able to complete that work. 

Personally I’m running the stock EJ flywheel and clutch setup. To do this you need to “shove” the EA gearbox internals into the EJ phase 1 gearbox front cases. 

What you’re worried about isn’t anything huge. I’m sure many ppl run with the factory EA82 pressure plate without an issue. It is best to have the clutch as the weak point and not the gearbox, just learn how to drive it so you avoid slippage.

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

3 hours ago, el_freddo said:

You need to contact Subarino Auto Electrics - based in Perth, he’ll look after you in the adaptor plate and flywheel mods department (DIY flywheel mod but has a neat template to follow). 

As for the clutch pressure plate, I’ve heard of people beefing up the stock unit at a reputable clutch shop. Any decent shop should be able to complete that work. 

Personally I’m running the stock EJ flywheel and clutch setup. To do this you need to “shove” the EA gearbox internals into the EJ phase 1 gearbox front cases. 

What you’re worried about isn’t anything huge. I’m sure many ppl run with the factory EA82 pressure plate without an issue. It is best to have the clutch as the weak point and not the gearbox, just learn how to drive it so you avoid slippage.

Cheers 

Bennie

I'm mainly thinking EJ18 at this time, not the common EJ22 everyone seems to do. Thing is I have a brand new exedy EA82 clutch kit, would be nice to drop that in at least for a while if it can handle the torque. I'll send that bloke an email too

Do you have a link to a readup on the gearbox guts thing? Sounds like a good option if I can find the right bits

Thanks

Ash

Hey Ash, 

With the EJ18 you’ll be fine with that exedy clutch. 

I don’t think it’s super common to do the cases swap on the gearbox. Search it on Ausubaru.com.auninmy build thread of Ruby Scoo ;) 

It’s prettt much - get Gen1 AWD box, split it for the case, bin the rest. Split EA82 box - carefully! That rear section is not fun at all. Take note of how it comes apart so you can put it all back together. Same for the gear selector forks - there’s some tricky decent ball work in there to get it all out and back in again.

Cheers 

Bennie