Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'87 RX - No Gauge Illumination?

First time driving the new RX in the dark and surprise, surprise, the gauges don't light up!  Anyone have any idea why my gauge cluster would be totally dark?  The gauges still work and the telltales light up for things like low range, but there is zero back lighting in the gauge cluster with the parking lamps or headlamps on.

I'm not near the car at the moment, but do these lamps share a fuse with something else?  Run on their own fuse?  I did a search and came up with lots of results for swapping in LED bulbs.  The cluster has never been removed on my watch but I did just repair the HVAC module mounts on the gauge binnacle and didn't notice any signs of suspicious activity.

Note to self : next purchase, test all lights in the dark

Slapped things yet? I have sometimes found just disconnect and reconnect switches and plugs with switch in on position frightens some hibernated switches or circuits back into life - a bit like the trusty slap if a light assembly. Even a spray of electrical contact cleaner has resolved weird issues.

Is the 87s dimmer still a rolling switch?

Typically if the dimmer switch is not connected your illumination lights won’t work. Same if you’ve blown a couple of globes and are not on the full illumination setting. 

From memory the series one is a turn dial illumination thing “inside” the dial switch for the headlights on the dashboard. 

Cheers 

Bennie

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 3:07 PM, Steptoe said:

Note to self : next purchase, test all lights in the dark

Slapped things yet? I have sometimes found just disconnect and reconnect switches and plugs with switch in on position frightens some hibernated switches or circuits back into life - a bit like the trusty slap if a light assembly. Even a spray of electrical contact cleaner has resolved weird issues.

Is the 87s dimmer still a rolling switch?

I may have slapped and tapped, but not enough to remember.  I think I'll pull the binnacle off today to check that the dimmer switch is indeed plugged in.

Yes, dimmer is the thumbwheel-style switch.

During the process of removing the gauge binnacle to inspect the dimmer switch connection I discovered that my repair to the HVAC control module lower mounting point has failed, again...

Looks like I get to refine my repair process, this will be "Field Repair v4.0" of the HVAC control module mounting points.