Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone convert to LP?

Kits ! 

:)

Bud, we are lucky to still be able to get some parts for this era vehicle, let alone a kit

I have done a few different EA81 dedicated not dual fuel systems.

I prefer to do it the hard way to get a bullet proof reliability using Impco simple converters, complex mixer set ups

The easier way I have never seen On an EA81is the Euro Style with complex converter, simple mixer systems. These use an intake air stream gas ring to tack on , or rather, mid air stream before carb. Work better with EFI designs not carb. Not enough bonnet clearance to easily spud on a mixer ring between carb and air box unless it is a lifted Sube

My first was on twin carb. Picture twins without air box

I made an intake out of 50*100 SHS about 10" long

cut hole for each carb top lip and each filter hold down stud was held in place from up top side with custom nuts that were topped with flat washer. The long nuts sat recessed inside the SHS with O ring sealing between flat washer and SHS

it was that tight under the bonnet

used pliers to remove flat washer topped nuts

each end of SHS capped

intake air and gas mix entered 90° at the front between carbs and radiator

complex Impco 125 mixer was mounted custom again on to an AC mount.

took jack out. Mounted VN Commodore air box in place

thus air box enabled back fire spring mounted flap and redesign of PCV system and catch can

i used a steering rack boots for its flexibility to get filtered air of body mounted air box to engine mounted Impco mixer

brazed up the dizzy advance control limits a bit - only on the first one. Most theory for LPG conversions is based in V8 and the 60's and 70s

Or maybe not doing this for #2 is what killed it at 120,000 km ??

Tank mounted in front, top side of rear tray. The bigger the better I reckon. One litre of LPG weighs about 70% of most wet petrols. Also only has about 80% the energy in pre ULP theory

100 litre water capacity tank holds 80 of LPG

i ran out at 720 km - ONCE coz needle stuck just above E :)

Kits ! 

:)

Bud, we are lucky to still be able to get some parts for this era vehicle, let alone a kit

I have done a few different EA81 dedicated not dual fuel systems.

I prefer to do it the hard way to get a bullet proof reliability using Impco simple converters, complex mixer set ups

The easier way I have never seen On an EA81is the Euro Style with complex converter, simple mixer systems. These use an intake air stream gas ring to tack on , or rather, mid air stream before carb. Work better with EFI designs not carb. Not enough bonnet clearance to easily spud on a mixer ring between carb and air box unless it is a lifted Sube

My first was on twin carb. Picture twins without air box

I made an intake out of 50*100 SHS about 10" long

cut hole for each carb top lip and each filter hold down stud was held in place from up top side with custom nuts that were topped with flat washer. The long nuts sat recessed inside the SHS with O ring sealing between flat washer and SHS

it was that tight under the bonnet

used pliers to remove flat washer topped nuts

each end of SHS capped

intake air and gas mix entered 90° at the front between carbs and radiator

complex Impco 125 mixer was mounted custom again on to an AC mount.

took jack out. Mounted VN Commodore air box in place

thus air box enabled back fire spring mounted flap and redesign of PCV system and catch can

i used a steering rack boots for its flexibility to get filtered air of body mounted air box to engine mounted Impco mixer

brazed up the dizzy advance control limits a bit - only on the first one. Most theory for LPG conversions is based in V8 and the 60's and 70s

Or maybe not doing this for #2 is what killed it at 120,000 km ??

Tank mounted in front, top side of rear tray. The bigger the better I reckon. One litre of LPG weighs about 70% of most wet petrols. Also only has about 80% the energy in pre ULP theory

100 litre water capacity tank holds 80 of LPG

i ran out at 720 km - ONCE coz needle stuck just above E :)

just checked you out - you will handle it easy

My third EA81 I went to stupid expense to import an EA82 spfi intake manifold for its throttle body, made an adaptor to fit Impco 125 carb/ mixer directly for a much tidier look than my EA81 carb intake adapted to Mitsu EFI throttle adapted to 125 using clamps and silicone tube

if I wAs to do another EA81 I would defy all Impco size charts, CFM calcs and up the system to L converter and 200 or 225 mixer and hope it goes as hard as my EA82M did when I tinkered with it .My mongrel was carb block and turbo mpfi twin intake port heads all EA82 stuff. Had a wicked intake growl

EA82 spfi inlets seem to be about 6 mm greater inside diameter which may not be good for torque on EA81 until you add EA82 Y pipe exhaust

Current daily driver is EA82T sucking air via air filter box>>>

>>>Impco 200 complex mixer >>>

>>>>IHI factory turbo>>>>

>>> throttle body>>>>

>>>>Intake manifold>>>>

Going against Impco's 1970s manuals and 2000s Impco Australia's advice to go blow through, did not work, could not drive it due to wierd intake pulses of a four pot turbo

Yet northern hemisphere guys do blow through no worries ???