Ultimate Subaru Message Board

82 Subaru Brat EA-81 weber/carter rebuild kits?

I like my weber/carter but i cannot sorce a rebuild kit. I have a 2nd motor with a Hitachi intake manifold so i may go 32/36 weber in the future(the Hitachithat was attachedis in terrible condition rusty and corroded out sides and non moving internals and just plain "toast" im usingit as a learning tool). 

Im just wanting to find a kit for the one i have on the engine right now also. 

If anyone has any info on where I can find or aquire the kit to rebuild and possibly where i can find the model numbers on the weber/carter i have please let me know :)

im new to the Subaru game but i am in love with my ea81's.

Edited by Ellaurance

You are not kidding! The rebuild kit on that thing is close to new carb price..... why? Thank you though now i have a model name/number and a wake up on it. Might aswell go weber 32/36 ...... its a bit easier to maintain through time seince the parts are still available and more affordable.... THANK YOU @naru2 

What vehicle are you working on? If you dont mind me asking.

Maybe you don`t need a kit.

Pretty common for the throttle body to come loose from the float bowl and mess up the idle.

Hard to tell w/o removing the carb.

You might find this worth reading https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/170101-82-subaru-brat-ea-81-webercarter-rebuild-kits/

I have an 84 turbo wagon,but,I used to have an 82 GL wagon w/the carter weber.I liked it

• Thanks 1

I mean the weber/carter currently seems ok, it idles around 8-900 rpm warm and cold idles at 2000 like recommend. On the idle it raises and lowers slightly but not alot. i have a problem with stopping the engine, i turn the switch off and it will wind down than try to start its self or keep going, its strange . It its in good timing  and the whole "spark" system is prety new (coil, distributor, cap, rotor, plugs , wires , ect.)and battery is also new.

so last on the list to figure it out was the carb. I was told by a teacher/family member that works at intelitech to check timing and rebuild the carb or clean the injectors with some stuff. 

Its an odd problem to me, it only happens on warmer days or after a longer drive over 100 miles. The electrical  around the car is not the best but most of what i found has been fixed. 

Its my daily driver project :) im still learning for sure but so far i believe the carb is why it has that issue.

I can take the carb off and just make sure its sealed good, im wondering if i can just get a sheat of gasket making material and just make some gaskets for it? I did that in the past on another off car i had and it worked fine.

I will take a look at that though!

The 84, does it have the ea81 in it? Im curious and wondering how the oem style turbo goes in there.

The exaust comes out the bottom not leaving tons of room to pipe it in my mind anyway. Unless its like a huge loop around the back of the engine.

Also being that ea81s are pretty much obsolete, eventually  there will have to be a transplant and i was looking into other engines but none really stand out to be as simple to work on or available to just mount to the current 4spd i have.

Have you had any ideas on what you are going to do way down the road?

Edited by Ellaurance
Spelling and detail

I guess "boxers" have their exaust at the bottom... i feel generally dumb for not realizing that.... still curious about how the turbo mounts though :)

i think it was the ej22 or something that might work with very little modifications. correct me if i am wrong, im sure i am.

Edited by Ellaurance
Spelling ugggg...

I would not be in a hurry to remove the carb for the problem you describe.

Idle speed is too high.Try lowering it.

Spec for manual trans is 700 +-100 so 600 would be OK.Should help a lot.

If you are unable to go that low,the throttle body might be loose.

I made my own gaskets.

Make sure the EGR valve works-heads might be getting too hot w/o it.

Try a tank or 2 of premium fuel.

If all else fails,try a combustion chamber cleaner to remove carbon deposits.

Here is an ea81T https://instagetter.net/photos/subarubrat-subaru-brat-ea81t1980scar-lessth-p-BxbbTBdFE3e

• Thanks 1

Ej22 is the swap most do.  A lot of work, but you get a more serviceable engine that parts are still available for.  40% more power, with no reliability loss due to turbo complexity and stuff like that.  But custom adapter plate, clutch setup, wiring harness work needed .  Lots of swap information on this forum.

• Thanks 1

Not to start an internet war, but I feel the need to soapbox for a minute. It seems like every other post I see on here nowadays suggests ditching EA-81 engines that are fixable or in currently running condition with an EJ swap and I just cannot understand it. I am a big proponent of classic cars and keeping them stock. I just started driving my EA-81 and I love it and think it is plenty adequate for the vehicle size and has a very unique character. The other hangup with EJ swaps is the cost involved which isn't really feasible for many people. Remember that if we keep throwing away the parts of our EA-81 platform vehicles because there's still stuff out there, you'll wake up one day and there won't be jack spoob left. I deal with this with the vintage Mercedes cars I work on all the time. 

No offense to anyone personally, just makes me sleep better at night trying to save the history.

As for the issue of the C/W carb, yes they can be tricky, Mine came with one but I swapped it for a factory Hitachi manifold and carb. Runs fine. 

• Thanks 1

I more of a keep it stock type.  Except for when someone is wanting a lot more power, then the tables turn.

These cars are getting rare, and many NLA parts, it doesn't make sense to do all kinds of experimental mods that may lead to breaking things that are hard to find...

• Thanks 1

@tylertrend im not disagreeing and you have a point. I like my ea81 alot, I like my c/w carb .

The fact is that I dont make alot of money and finding some of the parts to keep them both running  is just not an option for me forever and sooner or later all ea81s will be impossible to keep running with out a ton of machines and being able to re create parts like the oil pump.

Maby the next 4-5 years sure i can keepem going, I have 2 mostly blocks with hitachi setups (1 good carb out of the 2) and my current with the c/w. I have one more manual 4spd but thats it. In my area ive picked what there is that was any good for the most part.

Im not saying im going to switch to the ej22 immediately, i like my brat with the simple ea81 alot, im just thinking of a more parts available engine at a lower cost for the same body, thats all :) heck ive even considered some smaller diesel engines.

Theres nothing wrong with making a 30+ year old car more modern, reliable or safer. While keeping the original look. Completely stock may be your way of life, personaly I like making a modified restorations that I can enjoy. Thats the best part about  "tinkering", restoring, or being a hobbyist, there are no wrong ways to do anything as long as in the end you are happy with your creation right?

You are not starting a war though :) you do you man :)

On a futher note! Thank you @naru2, I looked at my egr valve  and it was super gunked up. I tightened a couple of bolts that were hidden on the carb and ran some cleaner through it . It runs like a champ now thanks you your tips. 

I also changed the o2 sensor and a few other sensors around and its just like "new" :) next i need to adress the muffler/exaust system because i found a "weak"spot(aka a razor going through a section) ,but for now its fine.

thank you!

Edited by Ellaurance
Errors lol

I watched a few videos of people buying a 90's Subaru and just pulling the whole wiring and making it work from there. One had a couple of dudes using the manual on the wiring from the original on a book and comparing it to the donor cars wiring and deleting what was not necessary to their application. It seems less difficult but more attention to detail  oriented :) but its definitely a possibility. 

I also did a search for similar  sized motors (U.S.) and transmissions in the small diesel area, for gigles. I found that its also not impossible but an extreme modification (chassis, axle, suspension, mounts , cuts , wiring, ect)  its out of my comfort zone and not seeming worth it value wise for a vehicle like this. Basically  you might as well get a different vehicle if you wanted that route.

Just thought it was interesting to research on while the thought was there.

The ej series seems like the best option for my capabilities though so if needed i think i may go that route.

Apparently there was a EA-81S with dual carburetor set up,that caught  my attention and the little crazy in me kinda wants that but at the same time i cant find much about it.

Edited by Ellaurance