Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1997 Outback Starting Issues

My daughter has a 97 Subaru Outback (2.5). She's been having issues with it starting. I replaced the starter (had the new one checked to make sure it's good), new battery, new terminals and cables. It will run for a couple days then it doesn't want to start, just makes a ticking sound. If we let it sit for a while or jump it, it will start right up. Ignition Coil possibly??? At times the check engine light will come on after it starts and there is a little lag in the starting. 

scan for codes.

seems like a 'dark current' power drain to me. You could check the current draw, if high, start pulling fuses to try to pin-down the circuit responsible.

does it have a replacementradio? check for stuck CD. Does it have an amplifier? make sure it turns off completely - double check any aftermarket electronics.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tnicholson said:

just makes a ticking sound.

Is that one click or a constant series of clicks when turning the key to start position?

When you turn the key to start, if the sound is like a chatter, that is usually the sign of a low battery. One click means the starter solenoid is not getting enough voltage or current to pull in completely to run the starter motor.

First I would check the voltage on the battery ( 12 volts ) then with the engine running and the lights on, it should be at least 13.8 volts at an idle.

If you don't have a volt meter you can turn the headlights on and then try to start it. It the lights go out or get very dim the battery is not charged so have the alternator checked.

Ignition coils are not expensive, if used OE or new Herko, etc..  I don't know how bad that would have to be to not even start.  If you put in a starter, what was the previous history of the car and starter? Who installed the new one?

If the starter is just ticking, not turning the engine over it has nothing to do with the coil.

Make sure you check the grounds!

Load Pro is a great tool.  Check it out on you tube.

I had one fellow with a 96 legacy, would not charge.  After several used Alt, I finally got him to bring it over.  The main ground wire bolt going to the engine bracket was  not tight and was burnt an pitted.  Replace the cable and bracket and he Loved his Subaru again.

• Like 1