Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.2 lower radiator hose .&^%*)$

any one have trouble with the lower radiator hose on a 1999 2.2  impreza  ?The one i removed had been "cut to fit" with a tight bend that looked "iffy".... got one from napa that said on the title "cut to fit"  well i cut to fit till i realized this won't fit without that tight bend in it .. I'm hoping someone can say just one for some different make and it will fit perfect..i know ,i am the hopeless optimist but what the hey ...any thoughts ? thank you  

I have used the "universal fit," hoses the ones with the coily spring inside the hose, where you can bend it into any shape you want. They seem to work okay, but you need to really tighten down on the clamp. Also, check weeks later that the hose is tight, may need to tighten up some more.

I am using one of these on my 99 Legacy Outback. Works just fine, but I have two hose clamps to make sure it stays tight.

8 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

The flex hoses are stupid.

I agree for Subaru application. A molded hose is much better.

But, for a Ford Flathead V8 they are perfect for the 2 upper hoses. They are better than the hose with the spring on the inside exposed to the coolant.

Well guys ,i went with the stock item from Subaru ..still had to "cut to fit" ...about a 1/2" off each end ...but it fit perfect .no crimping at all..I fought that napa one for a while and never got it to fit without a compressed bend(hope that makes sense)... So she's on the road again ..Thanks and Merry Christmas to all and to all ...a good night ;{)

Can you provide photos of the "tight bend"? I'd recommend using the Subaru clamp to prevent any leakage. If you don't have one you can get them on ebay for several dollars. If it's an aftermarket hose and thicker it may be a little tough to get the Subaru clamp on using a screw driver you can push it into position and then tighten it with a ratchet or screwdriver.

Edited by userface