Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2004 Forester EJ255BXTBB Engine Swap

Hi All:

I'm as new to this forum (and Subaru's) as can be. Forgive me if I'm asking a redundant or off-target question.

I have a Forester with what appears to be all the symptoms of a blown head gasket- abundance of white smoke, low coolant, check engine light... I wanted to swap the engine with that of another Forester, as having the engine work done is not feasible. With the location of the exhaust and other issues relating to the EJ255BXTBB, format, am I wasting my time thinking about it? Or, should I bite the bullet and consider having the engine rebuilt?

Thanks,

Andris

Is the Forester in question a turbo model? Is the replacement engine also a turbo model? You aren't clear on if this is the engine in the car or the one you want to swap in. Or even what model you have. Can't answer your question without specifics. The engine code is useless. Need to know year and model of both the recipient and the donor.

GD

Recipient car is a 2004 Forester XT while donor car is a 2003 X. I've looked into it myself in the past day or so- donor motor is a single overhead cam, non-turbo engine. Aside from being a J25 block, nothing else matches. I'll resell the donor motor and consider rebuilding the XT... I don't look forward to the expense- is there any way to mitigate this high cost, aside from removing and replacing the motor myself?

Not really. And I don't recommend you do the removal and installation yourself either. Have the shop that will do the rebuild do the installation. These are not particularly simple engines. choose who will do the work carefully. The cheapest guy is likely not the best choice here. It's a complex job with many potential failure points and a lot of cleaning required to ensure a lasting repair. 

GD

• Like 1