Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82. Could be a real "find"

17 hours ago, idosubaru said:

I too owe him beverages or cookies!  He’s the bomb!

From all you guys [General Disorder, Freddo and more . . . ] the experience and knowledge comes through, big time. But, yeah, seeing that pic from GLOYALE [mt-5 trans open case halves] gave me instant visualization to tear into it and get it done. And I had local help from Avo at Certified Subaru in North Hollywood who looked up proper part numbers for both main shaft bearings. I paid him for the parts and gave an extra $100 for his time and knowledge. He helped save that car.

• 3 weeks later...

Going with Fel Pro 9392pt HGs. Since engine not yet installed. And I plan to use Permatex Ultra black for cam carriers. Fill slot [groove] and then medium bead. Push down and get bolts finger tight. Wait an hour and then torque to about 10 or 12 ft/lbs max.

And will snap a few pix of what the "unnamed mystery rebuilder" did with the cylinder walls and pistons. Plan is to start it up within 2- 3 weeks. Prognosis looks to be that this is a $100 "find". Will keep fingers crossed and say three "Hail Mary"s . Will prime oil pump with drill socket and fill water pump from heater hose.  

• 5 months later...

This rebuilt EA82 [with no history of who did the work or when it was done] turned out to be ok. I found it on Craigslist. Local pickup. It was my lucky break.

160 miles on it so far. Shows to have a reliably functioning bottom end.

• Like 2