Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So my son has an 06 legacy sedan, and he’s only 18 and does not listen well when told to check his oil. Ran it dry. Now has a rod knock. So being the father that I am, I’m trying to research what year cars I’d have to locate wrecked for an engine swap. So please, and help with info is appreciated. Not looking to spice it up, just get him rolling again.

Oh... knock is only there when starting car, and when rpms go above 3 grand... but it’s still shot in my mind. But anything we can do to get another month of easy driving out of it??

Nope. It's shot. Don't drive it you'll just wreck the heads. Best deal out there is a reman short block from Subaru. $2350. 3yr/36k warranty. 

Used engines are expensive due to demand, and are typically not that much cheaper plus usually have a 90 day warranty and come with 100k+ miles on them and leaking head gaskets (which you are prohibited from changing or you void what little warranty they offer). Best thing to do is a reman short block and have the heads professionally cleaned and surfaced. There will be a lot of metal in the AVLS rocker assemblies typically and you must not recontaminate the new engine. They need to be checked for cam journal damage and dropped valve guides as well. 

GD

• Thanks 1

I agree.  Engine is done for. check car-part.com  for a decent used engine.  Then do the Head Gaskets, all engine seals and  water pump,timing belt and all idlers when it is out of the car.  Use the aisin timing kit.   Sell the used engine for the heads to recoup some $ later, but keep it until swap is done.

• Thanks 1