Ultimate Subaru Message Board

P2098 Leaking Valve cover gaskets?

05 Outback 200K miles

OK so I have had the P2098 for the past few months and now I am noticing a serious oil leak.

I will crawl under the car tomorrow and try and see if I can track down the leak but in the meanwhile, is the valve cover leak capable of producing a vacuum leak and pesky P2098?

Edited by brus brother

They could be related, ,but it could head gaskets leaking and  the issue that makes p0298 happen.

OBD2 Code P0298 Subaru definition:
Indicates the Engine Oil Temperature Protection (EOT) strategy in the Power Train Control Module (PCM) has been activated. This temporarily prohibits high engine speed operation by disabling injectors, reducing the risk of engine damage from high engine oil temperature. Note: On engines which are equipped with an oil temperature sensor, the PCM reads oil temperature to determine if it is excessive. When an oil temperature sensor is not present, the PCM uses an oil algorithm to infer actual temperature. Engine shutdown strategy function is the same on vehicles with and without oil temperature sensors.

there are 5 sensors total (2AF precat, 2 O2 sensors, one on each front cat, and one O2 sensor on the rear cat)

there is a small exhaust leak at the joint where the passenger cat (bank 1) joins the driver cat (bank 2) and before the rear cat.

I am just curious if this could be the culprit since while not audible, if I plug the exhaust and push air back up with a shop vac, I can see air bubbles if I spray water on the joint.

If this is indeed the location of the cause of the P2098, why would this read as a bank 2 error?

OB05.jpg

Edited by brus brother

• 6 months later...
On 1/29/2020 at 4:12 PM, brus brother said:

there are 5 sensors total (2AF precat, 2 O2 sensors, one on each front cat, and one O2 sensor on the rear cat)

there is a small exhaust leak at the joint where the passenger cat (bank 1) joins the driver cat (bank 2) and before the rear cat.

I am just curious if this could be the culprit since while not audible, if I plug the exhaust and push air back up with a shop vac, I can see air bubbles if I spray water on the joint.

If this is indeed the location of the cause of the P2098, why would this read as a bank 2 error?

OB05.jpg

I also have an 05 OBW and started getting the same code.  Was the leak the issue?  If I reset it, the CEL won't come back on until it's been driven some.  Maybe 25-100 mi.  I hope a leak is all it is instead of >$100 for a sensor!