Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1998 to 2001 compatibility of parts?

im starting to get myself into a stage where im about done with my old car and while its mechanically perfect the rear end is so rusty its better off as parts and will likely be parting it in the future but im curious what parts from the 98 outback can be used on a 2001 outback if any? stuff i should save for the new car. one of the big ones im thinking of is will my brand new filler neck on the 98 fit on the 2001? exhaust fuel pump starter anything i can use from it? i likely wont be getting rid of any of the parts more pulling them and storing them for sale but id like to know what i can keep for spares on the new car.

Edited by sirtokesalot

Very little will be identical. Phase 1 vs 2 engine/transmission. Different body style. Brakes are the same. Front struts, knuckles, control arms, axles will be similar (I think there's a difference in ABS sensor). Driveshaft will be the same if it's the same style transmission. Exhaust will be similar. Fuel pump is different.

The BE/BHs don't seem to be plagued with filler neck issues. But the '00-'01 ones are susceptible to rear subframe rust. I just replaced that on my '00 330k mile OBK, and the filler neck looked great.

What he said, many things aren't the same. 

If you don't care about ABS then the front axles and knuckles swap.  The ABS is different as Numbchux said, but the parts all physically bolt up and work fine, so the ABS just won't work depending what you're doing.  If the later 2001 tone ring taps onto the 98 axles then you can reuse those 98 axles with the 2001 tone ring, in the 2001 outback.   I've never checked but they look like that could work and it's routine to remove the tone ring to use 2001 axles in 1998 vehicles.  The 2001 axle boots have better materials and design and are newer, so most folks are going that way, not using 98's on 2001's. 
Front struts and front and rear brakes can swap. 
PCV valve is the same. 

That's about it.  Nothing engine, trans, computer, body, rear suspension wise.