Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 GL to 93 Loyale front axles

So here's a test I'm running with front axles-

I have run EA82/3AT 4WD wagons since 1988.  I have had about 7 of these, so lots of spare parts. 

The 95AC-23 axles were used on 4WD automatics with SPFI or turbo.  The CVJ and DOJ are slightly bigger OD on these.   [back then I always bought used turbo axles to reboot, so I have a few of them]   The later cars I've picked up had the smaller 23 spline axle shafts.

Took one of my OEM 95AC-23 axles, which I had removed due to torn boot, who knows how long ago.  Took apart the outer end, just a little wear / not great looking surfaces where the load of moving the car forward would be - if the axle was on the right side.  The balls had a little bit of damage I could feel.  Got new 18mm ball bearing balls from McMaster-Carr.   put it back together, new grease, Silicon boots from Amazon, inner joint only has polished surfaces where the balls run, nothing else worse there.  Installed on the left side today, since the faces that will carry the load of moving forward have little wear on them.  We will see what happens over time.

Short test drive today, no clicking etc. on sharp turns.  We'll see over some time and miles how they hold up.

The Axle I removed - is the smaller version, OEM.  The balls measure to be right on 21/32" , oddly, not a round metric number.  And no easily visible marks / wear.   But the inner start and out cup have smooth wear grooves in them.   This one looks like I had re greased and rebooted previously, the boots are in good shape, not even beginning to crack.  No obvious contamination in the joint or boot.