Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1991 4x4 Solenoids

Dunno that you can get them new. But the single range part time L’s use the same setup. They could be a good source of parts. 

The other option is to retro fit a set of vacuum actuators from a Pajero Montero/Shogun/Pajero Gen 3 to 4. The front diff actuators on these use a very similar set of vacuum solenoids that could be made to work the way you need them to. 

Like this: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MR430381-MB937731-Vacuum-Switch-Solenoid-Valve-FOR-Mitsubishi-Pajero-L200-L300/143290382011?fits=Model%3APajero&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item215cc5b6bb:g:svcAAOSw7QVc~1Lj 

if you can’t find it, eBay search Pajero vacuum and you should find something very similar to what’s on your strut tower. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Edited by el_freddo

3 hours ago, Steptoe said:

For centre diff lock on awd model or locking in rear wheels on manual part time fwd?

My car has the push button, so I'd be looking for the solenoids for the part time setup. Tried eBay but can't seem to find the part. Not sure what to call it. 

Something I am yet so see in the flesh.

Vacuum solenoids would be a pretty close term

Can I suggest you put up a want ad with that sort of wording in title?

There are only so many ways a vacuum solenoids will work

Some air just switching vacuum when powered up, possibly when power goes off. Two port pipe connections

Some have a little hat on a third port so one side sees atmosphere when on or off

You may want to look closer at what you have. Mark them to identify. If they share same wire colours and plug they may likely be the same if you have two working opposite each other. Test them electrical by adding 12v to them, see if they click or blow a fuse you added to the power up just then.

Many cars this era used vacuum solenoids for all sorts of vacuum control. Most are 12 v but if ecu controlled may be 5 v ??? Many of us have found solenoids elsewhere to do the job....may need wiring correct plug

1 hour ago, el_freddo said:

Both solenoids have the little atmospheric hat on one end. The other end goes to the diaphragm actuator. Then there’s a vacuum in hose line too. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Thanks !

I'm looking to purchase the car and the current owner says he thinks it's the solenoids. I'm leery to get and not be able to get them. 

It could be the actuator diaphragm that’s leaking. To me, this is the harder part to get. 

Permanent 4wd use won’t be nice on engine and gearbox mounts, drive shafts, tyres and the body overall. You will accelerate wear on all of these items. 

Cheers 

Bennie

1 minute ago, el_freddo said:

It could be the actuator diaphragm that’s leaking. To me, this is the harder part to get. 

Permanent 4wd use won’t be nice on engine and gearbox mounts, drive shafts, tyres and the body overall. You will accelerate wear on all of these items. 

Cheers 

Bennie

That's what I was afraid of. He said weeks ago everything was working. Now when you push the button it doesn't go into 4x4. He mentioned a week defroster vent too. Which might be related to the leak you mentioned. I'm 5.5 hours from the car so I can't diagnose easily. 

This was my first car at 16 and really was interested in getting her. It's in pretty decent condition for a 1991. Good frame and body.