Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Was taking apart my timing belt and got the cover off. While in compressing the piston to make sure no air is in it, my friend is taking off the pulleys. I didn't know he hadn't lined up the timing marks. Is the drivers side pulley supposed to be harder to spin than the passenger side? Also how do I know where to line the cams up. Thanks. 

Year and model doesn’t really matter. A timing belt is either SOHC or DOHC on a subaru. 

The process is the same for any SOHC. 

The arrow on the LHS bank indicates which cylinder is at TDC. When lining up the cam shaft it should be at about the 1:30 mark from memory. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone. I was worried the timing was wrong but I got it figured out and put back together. My next problem was it was overheating, but I just kept driving around and coming it up with coolant. I would let it cool down before starting it up again once it got hot and it seemed to fix it, as I drive around once fully filled with coolant for 20 minutes and no warning light came on. Thanks for all the help!

1 hour ago, cspurli2 said:

Thanks everyone. I was worried the timing was wrong but I got it figured out and put back together. My next problem was it was overheating, but I just kept driving around and coming it up with coolant. I would let it cool down before starting it up again once it got hot and it seemed to fix it, as I drive around once fully filled with coolant for 20 minutes and no warning light came on. Thanks for all the help!

They can be notoriously difficult to bleed. Search for “burping” if you have more issues.  

Generally refilling nose up and topping off after a drive or two is good to go. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/24/2020 at 2:19 PM, idosubaru said:

It does matter if it’s interference and the cams/crank are clocked in a position to damage valves.

Yes that is true. But you’ve taken what my message way out of context. Year and model doesn’t matter in terms of kit specifics or how to set up the timing. It’s either SOHC or DOHC. 

Procedure to correctly the fit timing gear is specific to DOHC and SOHC, but it is the same across all models with the specific cam setup it has. 

Probably clear as mud now, but anyway... 

Cheers 

Bennie

Edited by el_freddo
  • Thanks 1