Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Battery draw down

Made a discovery -

In the wagons with the annoying power shoulder belts.   If you leave the driver's door slightly open, the control system draws 160mA indefinitely, draining the battery over the course of a few days.  Just another reason to replace them with manual ones.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DaveT said:

Made a discovery -

In the wagons with the annoying power shoulder belts.   If you leave the driver's door slightly open, the control system draws 160mA indefinitely, draining the battery over the course of a few days.  Just another reason to replace them with manual ones.

Thanks Dave my XTs have that same auto seat belts and I’ve seen battery and seat belt issues before. 

When you say “slightly open” do you mean the dome light is on kind of open, or something else?

I've had the dome light switch turned off for years, as they are parked in my garage, and I got used to leaving the door unlatched, or even the back open for loading / unloading.  One of mine had a flaky dome light switch, so I always had it shut off.  I just got used to that, not worrying about closing the door at home. 

Well, when I typically drove one or the other [I have 2] every other day, the 160mA isn't noticeable, unless you measure with a DVM.    Anyway, with the current situation, I've been driving once a week, maybe twice.  So I go out the other day, turn the key, and NOTHING happens, not even a click.

• Thanks 1

Good to know. I’ve had a couple where the door wouldn’t completely close/latch and turned the dome light off too.

Do those have an instrument cluster open door diagram? XTs have a picture of the car and show which door is open, which is kind of funny for it being only a two door.  I can’t recall if that still lights when the car is off.