Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What kind of Gas Mileage do you get?

Here's a question for all of you. I'm looking for a Brat, don't really care what year or generation, but I'd love to know what kind of gas mileage you guys are experiencing with them.

Sound off, let me here your input!

Thanks!

Scott Faivre

I think on a longer trip I went on I averaged between 29-30, and that included windy mountain highway roads, freeway, hills up and down in both siutations... Thats on an EA81 wagon with 5spd dual-range and 32/36 weber w/big tires, which is always loaded down to some degree (tools, fullsize spare on roof, speakers, gear, bike etc...)

- Erik Hosa - Tacoma, WA -

Factory spec is 23-27. I get about 25-27 depending on how much my foot is in it. The 4 speed, and the 3.9 diff don't help mileage at all. You'll never get much over 30, and even that is stretching it.

GD

I always got 25-27.

It didn't matter if I was on the road or city, my mileage didn't seem to vary much (when my Subie was still a car).

Now I rarely get out of first gear, never been in third yet (as a SubaruHummer).

I think my mileage will be way down now the fun is way up!

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

I'm getting 30 mpg on the highway at 65 to 70; 23 to 26 around town. That's with a weber, 5 speed d/r, and stock 13" wheels and tires. '84 Brat with recently rebuilt engine. I was getting about 3 to 4 mpg less on the old engine.

my brat gets about 22-24 in the city and I have a leadfoot. i also haven't tweeked my timing for max performance yet (want to get the disty rebuilt first)

I have a stock carb, 4speed, and exhaust, low topper and a fresh tuneup including accel coil and 8mm wires.

I know I could drive it to get the higher averages in this thread if I chose to. I get substantially better mileage on the highway in range with the other figures here.