Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Using 4wd/auto 4wd on road

Just wondering if there's any reason not to use 4wd while driving around town? Obviously using 4wd all the time will create more general wear and tear but that's not a big issues as I rarely drive the car. My L series has an ej22 and I have to be careful when taking off or it just loses traction even with 26" muddies. I've got the auto 4wd button so could I just have that turned on? And also does anyone know how the auto 4wd works on the l series? 

you could use the 4wd when starting out from a stop, however any turning on pavement is really hard on ALL of the components of the drive train from the transfer case out. Tires, CV  joints and differentials, drive line. etc.  the other issue when doing this is the tire size and wear need to be even as with AWD cars.   try it wen starting out in a straight line and see how it goes. 

Edited by Mack Truck
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Mack Truck said:

you could use the 4wd when starting out from a stop, however any turning on pavement is really hard on ALL of the components of the drive train from the transfer case out. Tires, CV  joints and differentials, drive line. etc.  the other issue when doing this is the tire size and wear need to be even as with AWD cars.   try it wen starting out in a straight line and see how it goes. 

Turning from a stop is usually the worst for losing traction. Sounds like im better off just not using it

7 hours ago, DaveT said:

Starting moving going straight,  ok.  Not all the time on.  When you mention auto - do you mean this is an automatic transmission? 

it's a manual transmission. It has a button on the dash that says "auto 4wd"

Mine too

3 hours ago, Raynman1989 said:

it's a manual transmission. It has a button on the dash that says "auto 4wd"

Get your vin out. It will tell if started life as an auto

If, I say if your model same as my 85 sedan from factory, the button on dash was for if engaged , to automatically engage the rear wheels whenever brakes applied ( using brake light switch as the sensor!) to assist with braking,

Or if the kickdown switch was activated to assist with best traction for acceleration ( not fastest)

Or if you turn wipers on, suggesting road surface could be wet, giving you four wheel sturdiness

Hell it was a fun option ( to take mind off it being only a three speed auto

2 hours ago, Step-a-toe said:

Mine too

Get your vin out. It will tell if started life as an auto

If, I say if your model same as my 85 sedan from factory, the button on dash was for if engaged , to automatically engage the rear wheels whenever brakes applied ( using brake light switch as the sensor!) to assist with braking,

Or if the kickdown switch was activated to assist with best traction for acceleration ( not fastest)

Or if you turn wipers on, suggesting road surface could be wet, giving you four wheel sturdiness

Hell it was a fun option ( to take mind off it being only a three speed auto

Didn't think of that maybe it was an auto before! Just tried using 4wd while driving on bitumen and it created a HUGE amount of drag almost like i had the handbrake on