Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2014 Impreza: Crazy Front Wipers

Hopefully I can describe this problem well enough:

- When I use the wipers in High, Low or Mist everything is fine. I can use them, shut them off, restart them everything is good.

- If I use them in intermittent mode they work as expected. I can set the various ranges of delay.

- The problem is that if they are used in intermittent mode and then shut off, they will not start back up in any mode. The only way to get them to start is by putting the switch to an on position and then giving the wiper arm a very slight tug. Even if I turn the car off and come back the next day, they will not work until I give it a slight pull. I don't hear any type of motor trying to run, or any slipping - just silence from the wiper motor.

I can't seem to find anything online that relates to this issue. It seems to me that it is an electronic issue, but I can't understand why pulling on the wiper reengages them. Is there some type of sensor that prevents the wipers from starting when they are not in the "rest" position?

If anyone has any thoughts please let me know and thank you in advance!

Wiper motor is likely bad. As to your question - yes all wiper motors have limiting switches and "tracks" with electrical contacts that "sense" the position of the wipers as the motor turns the eccentric drive wheel. Otherwise they would be unable to park themselves. It's all built into the motor typically - which has been the case for at least 50+ years. It may also be an alignment problem or looseness in the linkage.... on a Subaru this new, and in your climate I would have to guess this is a result of putting the wiper transmission and linkage against a heavy load like snow, etc. We don't ever really see problems like this on a model that new as such I would guess damage from improper use. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Thank you for the reply. I am pretty diligent about not using my wipers when they are frozen stuck or when they have to push a ton of snow. I do not know if there is any other way of using improperly.

What seems odd to me is that they only will not restart if used in the intermittent mode. Is there any explanation for that? What is it about the intermittent mode that is different than the low mode or the manual mist mode?

Intermittent mode uses a different set of electrical contacts in the wiper transmission. So it only turns one rotation and stops to wait for the timer to expire...... here's a picture that better illustrates what's going on inside a wiper motor:

https://images.app.goo.gl/KSVmdi9os99WopwKA

They have sliding electrical contacts. If something goes awry in there or gets sloppy the contact ring and arm can be misaligned or in a burnt position, etc. When you move it you are literally moving the electrical wiper and contact ring to a position that conducts electricity and operation can resume. 

Generally you have a "park" position where the wiper goes to a lower position for parking out of the line of sight when it's off. For intermittent mode the wiper is not parked but held in a lowered, but ready position. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder