Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 GL ea81 distributor replacement trouble

UPDATE!! All is good now. I was determined and went back out about an hour ago. I re-pulled the partially installed distributor, eyeballed it, and finding no apparent flaws, reinserted to the stopping point, grabbed a rag, placed the rag over the distributor, and while pushing down with my weight, rotated the dist back and forth and to my pleasure, it contacted. I hooked wires and the vacuum line up and fired her up! All will be fine-tuned tomorrow. I had eventually remembered that the new O-rings resist as they are not shrunken like the old, much the same as the oil pump procedure and the new O-ring was catching on the ridge inside the shaft's opening.

Step-a-toe, I did lube first, I just forgot the resistance of new O-rings as they are actually compressed in the first usage even with the lube. I simply had to push down harder with a rag over it and with a slight rotation, back and forth, and she made contact. Thanks for asking though.

• Like 1

Just a little about myself; for about 30 years of professionally turning wrenches, I was a mechanic/glorified parts changer 'cause I wasn't a master or certified I but had lots of experience. In 2005, my last job closed its doors. 6 months later, I went to work as a parts shuttle with CarQuest for 9 years (2005-2014). Getting rusty at it and so I have memory lapses once in a while of procedures I had once well known. I still do like the fact that I can save a buck or two usually. Thanks all and have great times!

• 3 years later...

I would hate to revive an old post of 4 years. But I do need to ask which distributor did you install and where did you get it? And do you have a part number? I see a cardone rebuild available online. I'm curious if that's what you used and if it's been working fine. I have lost spark. I've tried coils. I believe my distributor pickup has gone bad and would need a new pickup for the distributor I have. Anyways, if anyone else could respond with a good replacement for a 1984 Subaru brat with an ea81 engine

Ordered this from Napa online. It had the free shipping . every time I order from RockAuto. Their shipping costs are ridiculous.

I have several hitachis and a few nipandenso's. Probably eight distributors in total. I'm just going to go with the new ignition module, I swapped distributors with another one that I had marked as being good taking out of a running car and still had no spark so I decided to just go with a new module. Now I'm trying to find the right coil that goes with the Hitachi distributor. They have several coils listed but they don't list it specifically for which distributorScreenshot_20240629-075604.png.0403832bd9f25a89a49014e608872891.png