Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2003 outback, broke timing belt,, for sale WWYD

2003 outback wagon, 2.5 AT.     95,000 miles has a broken timing belt.

Guy wants 2k for it,, Its clean with new tires.

I priced new heads at $670.   And I can do the replacement work.

Is this worth it?    Or is this going to require tearing the lower half of the engine apart too?

2k might be high, I typically pay about half that for a project car even in nice condition. Also with the car not in running condition you can't test drive it and check the transmission, suspension, steering, etc.

Most likely you don't need new heads. Usually it's just bent valves, a decent machine shop can easily do the valve work and resurface the heads for a whole lot less than the cost of new. Its possible a piston could be broken but I have not seen a broken timing belt cause that on an EJ251.

The lower end should be fine in most cases, if well maintained 95K should have lots of life left. I like to cut open the oil filter and look for metal just to be sure. Also if the insides of the valve covers and top of the heads are covered in heavy varnish and sludge the previous owner may not have done regular oil changes, that would be a red flag for me. While you're at check the trans fluid see how clean it is, another sign of how well it was maintained.

Thanks for the replies guys.. 

I just assumed since its 12 yrs old , maybe the timing belt got brittle and broke due to age,,, despite the 95 k miles...

I may be in the rust belt, but the pictures are clean,, like little old lady from Pittsburgh only drove it to church on sundays in the summer.

29 minutes ago, xdeadeye1 said:

Thanks for the replies guys.. 

I just assumed since its 12 yrs old , maybe the timing belt got brittle and broke due to age,,, despite the 95 k miles...

No. That's not what these do. The timing belt is designed to last well beyond it's replacement interval. 105k and 10 years is the replacement interval. The design life is at least 50% more than this..... probably 100% more. 

GD

• Like 1