Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Check engine, brake, traction control lights on & cruise flashing - gas cap?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. My car is a 2010 Outback.

This morning I was about 20 miles in to my 35 mile commute when the check engine, brake & traction control lights all came on (the brake light was flashing) and "cruise" was also flashing. I was right next to a church parking lot, so I pulled over and Googled that particular dashboard light combination. The first suggestion was to check the gas cap, and my gas cap was not merely loose, it wasn't even on! It was hanging. Now, I'd gotten gas the night before, and I've never ever left the gas cap off or even loose, but I was distracted by the need to pay my taxes and I suppose I just drove off like that. There's a first time for everything.

I'm assuming that's the problem - the check engine light has never come on, and I suppose it could be something else and just a crazy coincidence - but for how long can I expect those lights to stay lit? I've read you might need to drive the car for 20 miles or so, or drive it several times, for the warning lights to disappear, but they're still on after driving home this evening and making stops at Walmart and Publix. I'm not thrilled with the idea of another visit to my mechanic (I've had two wheel bearings replaced in the past couple of months) but I also don't like the thought of breaking down, if the gas cap really isn't the cause. Thanks in advance for all your help!

Like GD said. I will add that after you reconnect the battery, turn the key to the on position and wait for all the gauges to run and then start the car without stepping on the gas and let it idle. The computer will need to "relearn" your car and it may take a few minutes at idle for things to smooth out.

GD's suggestion to buy an inexpensive scan tool is a good idea going forward. Not only can you use it to clear codes but even the most basic scan tool will allow you to "read" codes when the check engine light comes on.

If you want peace of mind without following any of the above suggestions, take you car to Advance Auto or Autozone. Here on the east coast they will scan and read your codes free of charge. If it comes back as a "loose gas cap" code (P0457), then just keep driving and the light show will go away by itself.

Thank you. I stopped at Advance yesterday, but due to Covid they're no longer entering customers' cars. Normally we have a few scanners at work (pawn shop), but we're out right now. We might have one on police hold that I can try. If not, I'll try disconnecting the battery. Thanks again.