Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Opinion on value 1999 Outback wagon with 20,000 miles

The shop where I take my Subaru 's just bough a 98 or 99 Subaru Outback from an estate with 20,000 miles.  The interior and exterior are in great condition.  It drives great, everything works and the underside of the vehicle is a little dusty , but no rust. Tires look new and brakes are recent.    For WI, this is an unbelievably nice ride.  Any ideas what is is worth?  

subieoutback2.jpg

don't know what the going prices are out there, but take into consideration the following.

It's still a 21 year old car.

The timing belt has to be changed and the bushings should be checked for dry rot.

Here in NY state it would be a $1000=1200 car.

O.

38 minutes ago, ocei77 said:

Here in NY state it would be a $1000=1200 car.

O.

No way, you'd have people breaking down your door if you listed that car for that little right now.

Very hard to value something like that, as there's almost zero comparables. But here in MN, Subarus draw a premium. Rust free cars draw a premium. And right now, the used car market is on fire. All that means that thing has very good value. I'd bet a dealer would be asking close to $10k, and I wouldn't be that surprised if they could find someone to pay that (or nearly that). I'd probably start at something like $6k if I were selling it.

Yes, rubber components will be badly degraded. Timing belt should be done immediately. But, obviously, there's a TON of life left in that car.

$3k-$5k. There are people who feign and sweat over low mileage. They aren’t members here  

That’s a EJ25D. But no matter, low mileage cars are really hard to value. They will usually sell for way more than people on this forum care to pay for cars.

But it’s nothing special, it’s not even an SUS or something beyond average desirability.  So yeah it’ll command more but not extravagant. 

if it helps any, paid $1400 for my 02 Forester 3.5 yrs ago.. body in good shape, but underside is showing its age - interior nearly perfect. Only drawback (to some) was the 207K on the odometer.

so yeah.. low miles, super clean.. in WI - especially near a big city - that is easily $2500 or better.

IMO a very nice looking car. I had a '98 5MT, but the very common green. The blue like this one were/are rare in these parts.

I know it's not apples-apples, but I bought a 1999 Honda Accord EX 5MT (settled for one that old since a manual is rare, especially in the EX) in September 2018. Last fall had the brake and fuel lines replaced due to the chemicals used around here to treat roads in winter. I have a company vehicle so it's only driven a few days a week. But the reason I mention it is an advantage you'll have is low taxes, assuming your state taxes vehicles like mine. My Honda just passed emissions.

Edited by Stelcom66