Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Impreza- vibration in steering wheel

I knew a couple of the rims on my 2005 Impreza Outback Sport, with automatic transmission, were bent so I bought a set of Snowflakes with bad tires and had my nearly new tires mounted on them and balanced. I asked the tire place to let me know if any of them were bent. They told me one had a very slight bend and one other was a bit more bent and the other two were true. They put to two slightly bent ones on the back

I can fell a slight vibration in the car starting at about 45 MPH but it actually is more noticeable in that steering wheel than the body of the car, even the the two front tires and wheels are balanced well.

Im wondering why I feel more of the vibration in the steering although the offending wheels are mounted in the back. The car is high mileaged- 256K and likely the steering ?rack and struts are originally and probably somewhat worn out.

You can always take it back to where they balanced the wheels and ask them to check the balance again.

Other than that, the easiest and cheapest first step in "differential" diagnosis is to swap tires front to back. BTW that "differential" has nothing to do with the car's differential. ;-)

See if that changes anything.

Edited by brus brother
  • Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 9:26 PM, brus brother said:

You can always take it back to where they balanced the wheels and ask them to check the balance again.

Other than that, the easiest and cheapest first step in "differential" diagnosis is to swap tires front to back. BTW that "differential" has nothing to do with the car's differential. ;-)

See if that changes anything.

I may swap the passengers side tires and see what happens. My guess (assuming the tire guy was right) is the more severe steering wheel vibration I felt when I first bought these wheels (and still had bad tires on them).I was hoping that vibration was the tires