Ultimate Subaru Message Board

backup key, what's the real deal?

Just picked up a 2011 Impreza for my son's first car. It only came with one key. It has one of those separate transponder keys, plus he has a keyless entry remote. We want to get a backup key, based on my research there is no cheap way around this, so I will get a locksmith to get me a key and do the programming. Was quoted $80 for that key. As for the separate keyless entry remote, I had hoped to purchase one myself and program it myself.I have seen sites that say you can reprogram it yourself, and other sites say you have to take it to a locksmith or dealership. What's the scoop? The remote has an 8 digit transmitter code on it. One site says I simply need this code to program a replacement. However, when I called the locksmith and asked him about programming my own remote, he said the one's you get off ebay or amazon, etc , you get a 50/50 chance of it working. And the prices seem to be all over the place. I see them for $30, others much more expensive, even reburbished one's. If I can indeed program one myself, what is a good reliable place to buy the keyless entry remotes that will actually work? thank you

Look in your owners manual. If the remote can be programmed, the instructions will be there.

I concur with GD about the immobilizer key. Get it from the dealer, and get a couple. If you have no working keys, you'll be towing the car to the dealership, paying them to remove the gauge cluster and at least one other module (not the same for every model, and even with I worked at the dealer I didn't have it memorized) to be sent into Subaru and reset. Yea...do it right the first time.

The dealership I worked at charged one programming fee, didn't matter if you were programming 1 key or 3. This is not a standardized fee, though, so call your local dealership and see what they charge.