Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Adjusting valve lifter ea81

Hi

I have searched around to find the answers I need, and bear with me. I'm no mechanic, only a grease head. But i can't seem to find what i'm searching for. 

I have valve tick that sound like a freight train. I know the specs and how to tune them. Only, I don't know the difference between what is the intake and what's the exhaust. 

I did a quick fix, and you can tell me if this ruins my car. I adjusted everything to 0.14. They were probably somewhere between 0.3 or more. It sounds perfect now. No tick and quiet as a mouse. It has 260k km. 

the specs and how to tune them. Only, i dont know the difference from what is the intake and whats the exhoaust. anyone care to explain to me?

All help would be much appreciated.

Edited by WinterBrat

Outer valves on the EA81 heads are the intake valves, centre two valves are exhaust. 

In the EA82S they’re the same as EA82 - exhaust on the outer and intake in the centre. 

Yours will be the first mentioned valve setup. 

I doubt you’ll do damage in the short term. Adjust them to the correct specs and it’ll be good. 

Too tight could lead to burning out a valve or two - possibly, I’m not 100% sure on that! 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

Cheers thanks

I did take it for a test drive, 60km and there is some ticking. But it's like 98% better than what it was. I will open it again and set it properly this time. The inside and the cover is full of junk. It's probably run way too hard and neglected by the last owner. So a real cleanup and it's good as new ;)

Thanks again

Vidar

The tick you have could be a worn valve lifter - where you measure the clearance it developed a groove or some uneven mark on the end of the valve lash adjuster. 

If you have the engine apart it’s a good idea to have these shaved to ensure they’re flat (or something). I don’t fully understand it - I just know that because of it my EA81 has quite the lifter noise as I can’t get it dialled in correctly. Last time I did my adjustments I forgot about this and it’s worse now than it was before I touched it. 

Cheers 

Bennie