Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Torque specs in list form

What do you need torque specs for? About the only thing that needs to be torqued is the head bolts. That's just a single page. 

If you need to pull out a torque wrench for basic fasteners then you need to get a better feel for torque values. All those values are chosen by thread diameter and pitch. It's just an engineering chart. Something you can easily master by feel. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

With a PDF file you can print "current page" to your printer.

I use Adobe Reader DC (free) to view pdf files. For any page I want to save out of the FSM PDF, I right click on the page I'm looking at and select Print, then for the printer I select Microsoft print to PDF. Then I create a new unique name folder and name the file and it will save that page as a PDF file in that folder. Later I can go through that folder and open and print any of those files to the printer. Don't forget to select your normal printer.

I save a lot of wiring diagram pages that way, so I don't have to scroll up and down through the whole thing. Using Adobe, I can have a lot of pages open in different tabs and click on the different tabs to see what is connected to what.

2 hours ago, opus said:

Rods, mains, etc.  Like I said, EA's have one sheet and I can pick what I need to know.  I dont need torques for most and all I have is a .pdf manual. 

No biggie.....

I would suggest you not split the block. Especially on a the NA engines - that's a learning curve you really don't want to go through. 

GD

14 minutes ago, opus said:

I've got no choice.  I'll see how trashed it is before I determine what the next step is. 

The choice is to get a good used one or a reman short block from Subaru. Your chances of success at putting it back together is very low and the machine work required makes it generally a wash vs. a used block. 

GD

I'm not intimidated by it. 

Found a runner at Spauldings, 146k miles for $1900, that aint gonna happen.  Surely not going JDM.  Wouldnt buy anything from Subaru themselves, I dont have that kinda money even if I wanted to.

Anyways, this has got off topic, thanks all for the input.

48 minutes ago, opus said:

I'm not intimidated by it. 

LOL. Words of the ignorant. 

You should be. 

I give these warnings for good reasons. I train tech's on short block assembly. Without that hands on training the early stage success rate is extremely poor. There are hard won lessons to be learned. 

Do you have the proper measuring tools? You WILL need a bore gauge and the skill to read it down to at least a couple tenths. 

Success depends on proper machine work as well. Ensure that someone in your area is equipped to do a main line hone on the block and is capable of hitting 0.001" on every main. 

GD