Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swear I searched ! A/C comp. clutch removal

Funny results with search. Besides you love the conversation. 

First gen Legacys 90-94 , I know of a now rare in this area  , parts car. My thought was to snag just the clutch as it was looking fairly decent compared to the three vehicles we have. And my wife’s car really needs an A/C overhaul including either a new unit or clutch. That will be going to one of our kids very soon too so I’d like this car to eventually have a fine functioning system once again. 

So , pardon my asking and not searching or trekking out for my service manual - which may or may not have A/C.

What’s the deal with those again ? 

I did a quick you tube search and watched a guy do his mustang ... but this is where happiness lies for me. Thanks my brothers n sisters. Cheers! 

FYI , I’m just not into buying a new clutch or throwing any much money at these cars. I’m waiting on my 2003 so I’m leaving 90-94 partially , then the wife will soon have something much more new. And the kids can have the remainders or I’ll part them out or offer them. 

Larry , hold on brother, let me see what I have up here because I am pretty sure I have a good compressor. 

Between two of our three cars I know I’d be smart to snag this clutch as a backup or to make run. 

Just looking for info on how to get that clutch off. 

Edited by moosens

One bolt in the center. I use a large pair of channel lock pliers to hold the clutch. Or you can apply 12v to the clutch wire and see if it holds it tight enough to brake the bolt loose. On some, you can use a small C-clamp (not real tight) to hold it.

When you pull the clutch off the splined shaft watch for the "thin washers" they use for adjusting the space between the clutch and the pully face. Sometimes they stick to the clutch and slide out with it, then drop off. If you need to remove one, use a small angled pick, or a tube that will slide on the shaft with a little grease on the end of it.

Use however many of the washers it takes so the clutch and pully face are almost touching.

I am rebuilding my compressor on my 93 wagon thus I had the same question.

See video here for how to dismantle the compressor and clutch.  A threaded tool is needed to extract the clutch and push on the shaft. You might be able to find the thread size and pitch and make your own tool.  I just ordered a kit from Amazson search B071JBPR3T.  I attempted to use a three jaw puller but couldn't get under the clutch thus I was pulling the whole bearing assembly which can't be removed until the clutch and snap ring under it are removed.

If you need parts for your V5-15C compressor take a look at this PDF you can find part numbers for individual parts of only what is broken just seach for for your compressor model, it might be V5-15C since we have a similar year subaru (93).  On my compressor the front seal was trashed and all the o-rings were rock hard, but the hard part pump components appeared to be in perfect shape.

Good luck.

After looking at the video on the 93 I remembered something very important. We have RHD Legacy wagons, so I looked at our 93 RHD and the a/c compressor in different. It does have a bolt holding the clutch on same as our 95 and 97 RHD although the newer ones use a different looking clutch. Several years ago I looked at different Subaru websites and they all wanted over $1,000 for the 95 RHD compressor.

I should have thought about LHD, RHD before I posted.