Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 EA82 Fuel not going through jets

87GL606

So I just got an 87 GL wagon with the EA82 motor. First time Subaru owner. Anyways I hauled the it home yesterday put in a new battery. I was able to turn it over and quickly decided the gas in it had gone bad. I drained the tank and changed filter today in hopes that my problems would be solved. 

I can pour gas into the carb and get the car to fire and if I keep pouring gas in can even get it to run. Upon inspecting the carb I notice that there is no fuel flowing from the jets. I pulled the intake line and it pumps at pressure when I crank the engine. I pulled the return and have a steady flow of gas there as well. 

All vacuum lines are hooked up as they should be from what I can tell. My question is what could cause there to be fuel at intake and return but not flow through the jets? Are there any vacuum lines that I should be sure to check? I’ve owned plenty of carb vehicles but, when I look at the carb on this thing I’m completely lost. My first thought was find the bowl and check the float and needle but, I’ll just be honest I can’t even find the bowl on this thing and I can’t even fathom how to remove the carb at this point.  

If possible please include pictures or describe where points of interest are because this guy is lost

Remove the air filter housing to expose the top of the carb. You should easily identify the bowl etc from this view point. 

Remove the top of the carb via the screws to get into the bowl. From here blow out what you can with compressed air. 

Your issue is probably varnish blocking the jets from old evaporated fuel. A good last of compressed air should have it sorted. 

Or EJ it :P  Welcome to the forum! 

Cheers 

Bennie

MinFirst carby as well?

You sort of don't see fuel coming out of the Jets - especially when it is not running.

A running well engine you can hear a healthy carby but you have fine idle circuits to be runni g on before main jets come in or power valve and plunger.

You can try manually working throttle in quick manner to see if accelerator pump circuit works and dumps a spray against venturis.

A carb cleaner both inside and out has benefits. Then there is the trick to mark what HT lead is which, swap two plug leads between themselves, all setting up for a carby backfire which might set fire to your car, shed, home and neighbourhood so take steps to prevent disaster.

Idea of a carb backfire is to use the 150 odd psi compression to blow through air and fuel jets, bleeds and orifices ....has fixed for some

Edited by Step-a-toe

Okay so I’ve got the top of the carb off no easy task compared to a holly. Float seems fine. The bowl was full with what seems like new gas although the floor of the bowl was covered in green sludge. I want to finish taking the carb out I’m assuming I’ll have to remove this screw(picture attached)?

image.jpg