Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 gl-10 help

Hi everyone I need you guys help. I just picked up an 86 gl-10 turbo fwd automatic tranny 4 door coupe. I am planning to convert it to awd. Will parts from a 88 gl Wagon non turbo work for the conversion or does it have to be a gl-10 turbo model like mine? Any help will be appreciated.

Edited by SubaruProjectD

If you get the awd transmission from another GL10 with awd, and the rest of the drive parts,  it should be no problem.  The non 10 transmission will bolt onto the engine, but I don't know about the mounting / body dimensions.  You do want to get the transmission and diff from one car.  Might as well get the trailing arms, driveshaft and axles too.

2 hours ago, SubaruProjectD said:

Hi everyone I need you guys help. I just picked up an 86 gl-10 turbo fwd automatic tranny 4 door coupe. I am planning to convert it to awd. Will parts from a 88 gl Wagon non turbo work for the conversion or does it have to be a gl-10 turbo model like mine? Any help will be appreciated.

the non turbo will have a higher gear ratio. While it wont prevent the swap due to you swaping trans and rear diff, it will make the car more sluggish.

2 hours ago, DaveT said:

If you get the awd transmission from another GL10 with awd, and the rest of the drive parts,  it should be no problem.  The non 10 transmission will bolt onto the engine, but I don't know about the mounting / body dimensions.  You do want to get the transmission and diff from one car.  Might as well get the trailing arms, driveshaft and axles too.

I just talked to the person selling the parts and he said it’s from a turbo gl wagon will it work since it’s a turbo and what other parts do i need besides the transmission for it to make it awd he said I need the shifting lever since it has a push button on it for the awd?

Mostly turbo vs non is engine  and ECU differences.   There are various transmissions, those may make differences.   It's safest to get the entire car if possible.  IF not, I would want everything in the drive lines from the transmission to the tires.   Depending on the transmission controls, the wiring harness involved, and or an vacuum stuff involved.   Check what kind of rear brakes both have also.  Many parts for these are getting rare / hard to find / NLA, so collecting them is a good idea.  There are a couple of transmissions that are different.   I am most familiar with non turbo EA82 powered automatics, the 3AT 4WD transmission.  There were a few that were AWD, most common is 4WD.  There is a difference.

Are they both the same trans? There are 3 speeds and 4 speeds. Swapping between them would be a ton of work. The 3 speeds are dead nuts simple. All hydraulic control with just a single solenoid for 4WD. Send 12V to it for 4WD.

The 4 speeds are electronic control. You have to do a ton of harness work, swap the dash etc, to get a 4 speed in a 3 speed car.

Edited by Ionstorm66
  • Like 2