Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Keyless Entry Module Wiring / Fob and Start Issues

2005 Outback 2.5i

I have been having intermittent issues with Keyless Entry not working.  I've replaced battery in fob, cleaned terminals, cleaned body ground, etc.  Battery is good.  

Also, one day, recently, I also had an issue where I turned key and nothing.....no click, no starter turn over, no dimming of overhead or head lights as key hit start position.  Starter has been replaced once (although still possible it could have a flat spot).

I have to suspect the two may be related.  Still think it could be a bad ground, but as mentioned, normally will still start except for that one time.

Seems like after it starts the entry will work for a bit, but then returns to dead.  I'm uncertain as to the function of the security relay (located near glovebox), but it appears that may effect the grounding to the starter, so a keyless entry issue may compound into a starting issue....thoughts?

With all that said, my suspects in order of concern (and likely cost) are:

Wiring

Keyless Entry Module

Security Relay

Starter Relay

Body Integrated Unit

Engine Control Module *unlikely)

Unless there are other ideas, I'd like to start at the Keyless Entry Module.  I'm having trouble understanding the function of each of the 8 wires in the i96 connector.  From diagrams I can only really isolate three.  Anyone have any ideas what the other wires do?  

1-?

2-?

3-YG to A9 of BIU (uncertain of function)

4-LR-to FB-10 M/B Fuse #8 (I assume this is 12V constant)

5-?

6-?

7-BY-to ground and A21 of BIU (assume this is the constant GROUND)

8-?

Any other possible advice?  This is my wife's car and with this intermittent issue, I don't want her to drive it and end up stranded in the coming winter chill.

Thanks!

Yes, battery seems fine.

It's odd.  Car is parked in garage, so every couple hours I try to use the fob to see if entry responds.  During about 1/2 of the episodes, I get no response.  Then, I might do it a couple hours later and get response, it is a total crap shoot.

I have been confident it works fine and then wife takes the car for the day and the fob won't work at all.

It's a real puzzler.  I'm thinking intermittent ground.  Wish I knew where every last ground point was on the car.  I would clean them all!