Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Outback 

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly (actually, it's still pretty)

202 K miles

leather interior, dual moon roof, good tires, auto transmission fine and cared for, no rust, body has one quarter sized ding on drivers's door from parking lot

engine runs fine, leaking HGs and VC gaskets. leaks about 1/2 quart per week. Never overheated. Regular oil changes.

constant P0420 that I have cleared to pass emissions for the past 6+ years. I have the original passenger cat. Replaced it with aftermarket but friggin' code came back.

Located here in snowy Connecticut.

What's it worth?

Edited by brus brother

Sub $3k subaru's can be tough. Prepare for a zillion low ballers. Just plan to ignore them and not even read or talk to those people.  "First $XYZ get's it, otherwise don't contact me" and stick to it.  You can do it without being mean! The low value and headgaskets are going to make lowballers slober and DROOOOOL all over themselves. It can be miserable selling Subarus for under $3k, the clientele can just not very nice to work with.  Be clear and stick to it.  I generally set a price - and ignore offers/questions. If it doesn't sell in a month - drop it a few hundred - wash rinse repeat and make sure you sell it by march. 

I'd guess $2,000-$2,300.  A running driving 4WD in northeast snow country that isn't rotted to debris with rust usually grabs $2,000 very easily. 

You don't say how many miles a week is for you, but that could be like 5 quarts every thousand miles - that's pretty bad.  If you disclose that - you'll be waiting to sell it to someone who just needs a temporary car or drives very few miles like a college student, etc.  And you could possibly get in the $2,500 or a little more for it. 

Now through march is prime time to sell and quite a few markets are higher than normal due to 2020 issues.

3 hours ago, lmdew said:

2009 Subaru Outback - $3,100 172K

That seems like a good deal for Colorado.  The link is expired so i cant see condition - but leaking headgaskets and the northeast put downward pressure on older cars.  Even rust free cars suffer depreciation from the latent pressure rust puts on the overall market.  Older cars are just assumed to be more of a liability here than out west/south.  Circumstances sometimes buck that trend...like a Baja, Turbo OB or low miles, so you never know, it could get more. 

I only mention "rust free" since other ads still seem to consider this important, 

Maybe there is something magical about my 05 but unlike my old 90 Loyale and the 84 GL before that one, there isn't one bit of rust on this car.

I just figured SOA had improved quality of materials but, as I said, maybe my 05 is magical...

Edited by brus brother

17 hours ago, brus brother said:

I only mention "rust free" since other ads still seem to consider this important, 

Maybe there is something magical about my 05 but unlike my old 90 Loyale and the 84 GL before that one, there isn't one bit of rust on this car.

I just figured SOA had improved quality of materials but, as I said, maybe my 05 is magical...

84 GL nice! Wagon or hatch?

It will definitely help the sale for sure and your market is HUGE up there. You live relatively close to like 25% of the entire population of the US.  Like I said give it time and set a price and bump is down after 2-4 weeks if no bites. Sell by March/April for top dollar.

Probably does have rust preventative improvements. What years did you get rid of the 84 and 90?

vehicle use/exposure, garage or no garage, heated garage, previous owners usage...lots of variables can impact rust. I’ve seen plenty of 05s rusted so they’re not immune. 

you say "rust free" but I am assuming that you are referring to visible body rust... I am wondering what does the underside look like? Sub-frame, etc

my 2002 Forester has very little visible body rust for its age, but the sub-frame and behind the plastic cladding, it is in pretty rough shape.

Edited by heartless
  • Like 1