Ultimate Subaru Message Board

post turbo water cooling before it enters head ea82T

so, after the turbo gets cooled by the water, it returns back into the head, lava hot, adding more heat to an already hot cylinder.  i think i have an solution and im going to be trying it,  thought id share the idea.   send the hot water post turbo into a heater core with its own fan, and then return that much cooler coolant to the head.

61s01v1tvAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This is a common mod over here. A fella I know that still runs the EA82t has this setup using a small motorbike radiator. I can’t remember if he has this mounted in front of or behind the main radiator, I think in front. 

@Step-a-toe might be able to shed more light on it as he *should* be running this mod with his EA82t to help keep it cool! 

Cheers 

Bennie

20 hours ago, idosubaru said:

I doubt this but is there any chance of it over cooling and causing the thermostat to reduce coolant cycling and make it stagnate in the turbo?  Or will it all flow so quickly that the entire system normalizes equitably fairly quickly?

If you had a massive radiator, maybe, but we’re talking about a small unit. Plus it ends up back in the head anyway where it gets more heat. 

I can’t see how it would stagnate. But then again, I don’t understand the EA82t cooling system. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Never seen anything but standard cooling on these but I had thought of a trans cooler before the turbo , not after as suggested.

I do not have issues at all. Not even mountain pass climbs at 40° C days. Twin electric fans and the Brumby twin core does an excellent job.

I do like your thinking. In cold climates you could plumb in an extra heater core from the turbo ;)

Nice looking radiator, I’d be putting it behind the AC and main radiator if possible - you want to waste a bit of heat from the turbo, not then heat up cooling air for the AC condenser and main radiator. 

Hopefully you can mount it behind everything once the engine is in place. 

Cheers 

Bennie

so i was a little worried that the extra coolant hose length would not allow enough flow so i picked up an auxillery coolant pump from like an audi or vw, this should keep things flowing good.  also picked up a second elextric fan

51Ff21UZTgL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

Man, I dunno, is the expected gain in power gonna be more than the loss from the xtra mass you are adding?

still, good looking installation.

not really looking for a gain in power just looking for a gain in more stable cooling,  hopefully itl keep that side of the engine cooler, seeing how its usually the hottest side and its normally the first to blow a headgasket

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

It's a waste of effort, and adds needless complexity and additional leak points. Adds nothing for reliability. 

GD

so uh,  you seem to be really good at saying what doesn't work, i can really respect that.   and yeah your right, there is zero things you can do for reliability for an ea82 with support like this

With plain old MAINTENANCE they already last 250k+

What more do you want? 

The PROBLEMS are due to parts availability, and in your case a determined effort to not leave it alone which has been proven to CAUSE problems. You will run up against the Waddington effect because you can't keep your hands off the machine:

https://blog.aopa.org/aopa/2014/01/14/the-waddington-effect/

If you really want to make a difference - increase the oil capacity (don't bother cooling it or anything silly like that - run quality synthetic - it doesn't need cooling), and adapt some kind of dry sump to the thing so you can bypass the stock oil pump which tends to aerate the oil because of a poor seal design, and in any case is no longer available for purchase. 

Of course doing this would be purely academic and an exercise in design and engineering because the EA82/T is outdated JUNK and an EJ22 swap would be cheaper, far more reliable, better on fuel, and a LOT more fun. There's just ZERO reasons to put ANY effort into that power plant. 

Look - I understand the enthusiasm. And that's great. But you REALLY need to consider what efforts will best make use of your enthusiasm, your time, and your money. I didn't get where I am today with a respected performance shop, a chassis dyno, and some of the best tuners and technicians in the NW working for me by making poor choices. I give my wisdom and experience freely here and I suggest you consider it carefully. I'm not making a dime typing responses to you. I'm here to help you not make the mistakes of thousands of people that have come before you and to which I have also replied with helpful, corrective and economical advice (see post count to the left <-). 

GD 

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, GeneralDisorder said:

With plain old MAINTENANCE they already last 250k+

What more do you want? 

The PROBLEMS are due to parts availability, and in your case a determined effort to not leave it alone which has been proven to CAUSE problems. You will run up against the Waddington effect because you can't keep your hands off the machine:

https://blog.aopa.org/aopa/2014/01/14/the-waddington-effect/

if you seen my post in the members ride section you'd see im doing every bit of maintenance i can to this engine,  and i have taken your advise in a few sections already...

and im really not into ej swapping the car,  ive got enough ej work to do on my twin turbo build thats haunting me with all its insane amount of vac lines and attention to detail im putting into it,  im just doing this ea82t stuff as like a thought experiment...  kinda like a "what ive learned my whole life dealing with ea's" kinda dealio,   getting an external oil pump and cooler was part of the plan,  and im planning on running high quality synthetic oils

i do appreciate your efforts helping others, it just comes off as quite biased, and for good reason, if not a bit dismissive.  some people like apples, some people like covering their faces with bees and running into an electric fence,  lol

• Haha 1

The twin turbo is another dead end I might add. Those had The Valley Of Death and were a tuning nightmare.... they basically sucked so hard that Subaru abandoned the idea. Also those OLD twins are such ancient garbage and so much progress has been made in compressor wheel design and turbine housings that they are entirely obsolete for their original intended purpose. A single new style Blouch 16GXT will eat them alive in every category - not even considering the twin scroll stuff being made. Any of them will spool faster, carry higher, and without the crazy high compressor to turbine pressure ratios. When you have 10 psi in the intake, you have something on the order of 3x that much pressure in the exhaust with those - much like the VF22 which is also hot garbage. 

AND AGAIN - you choose a platform that has no support, no parts, and no love. Why? What's the point of revisiting the past to play with abandoned, orphaned hardware that was not that great when it was new? I could understand something that was a really amazing product - but those usually have a lot of support. I do a LOT of vintage stuff - but mostly non Subaru because there just isn't enough time to mess with that stuff and still ENJOY it - since the bulk of the time spent is spent spinning your wheels and getting nothing done - looking for parts, re-engineering to use parts you can get from something else, and a lot of frustration. When the GOAL should be to build, drive, and enjoy the car - not to stare at it all the time in pieces. 

As for restoration or resto-modifcation..... from the pictures I have seen you post and the general lack of detailed understanding of the underlying principles and ROI of suggested modifications....  it doesn't appear you have the skills for that. Not as yet anyway. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

yeah,  i see what your saying,  but im never going to build a subaru for profit, its just for fun... ive got some other projects that are worth much more of my time that aren't subaru.. im just building a winter beater while im stuck at home... i could just fall back in the shadows and keep my thoughts to myself i guess

Just thinking back to the about to be convicted peadophile I met with an EJ converted EA81. The installer drill holes all over the radiator panel in an effort to get more air around the EJ turbo , for it was their opinion there is a lot of heat in there that needs to get out. EJ ain't always the be all and end all.

GO the EA82 !!